water temp gauge sensor location

DIESEL_COP

JASON HALOUSKA
Reaction score
I just got (finally) my water temp gauge to finish my gauge cluster. It is an isspro R6750 electric model. My question is where are you guys plumbing your senders to in the engine. The stock location on my 94 is at the front of the drivers side head which although easy to access is close to where the "cooled" coolant reenters the engine after the rad. I would think you would want the probe colser to the front of the passenger head by the thermostat to get a more "accurate" reading of the collant temp correct? IU have two square head plugs in the heads one on the drivers rear just above the exhaust maniford on the back cylinder and one at the rear of the drivers head behind the last injector. I don't know whether these are coolant passages or oil? and the locations would be better for the gauge since the wire from the probe to the amplifer is not all that long. What deo you think? Can a person lengthen the leads so I cn put the sensor anywhere or are these like pyrometers and sense resistance and you don't wan't to mess with the length of the leads. Any help would be great.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
DC,

Keep in mind that the left and right heads are the same piece of hardware, just mounted the opposite way. For instance, if you locate the two coolant ports on the front of the passenger side head, and then visually picture lifting up the head, spinning it around 180°, and then dropping it on the driver side you can look over at the driver side head and see where they ended up. Make sense?

I installed my probe in the rear of the driver side head in the port that is facing up. Mostly I put it here cuz it was the closest one to the gauge.

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also put mine in the driver's side rear port. Fast and easy, especialy with a 9/16" 8 point socket.