Water pump pulley spacer

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the spacer supposed to be on top of the pulley or underneath it?

Common sense is telling me it's supposed to be underneath it, with this new Gates pump it won't let me install it with it on top ,the bolts keep rubbing against the pulley... but that's not how I took it apart.

If you can't tell I'm having to undo ALOT of bad mechanic work on this van, if you look at the top left bolt for the WP, you'll notice the bolt has no washer. :eek: Isn't that enough to potentially damage the engine / IP? I know the clearance's are super tight,oh and the top and bottom bolts had no RTV put on when they did the old WP install so of course those bolt's leaked..

Man, doing this work further instills in me one of the sayings of my old man " If you want it done right,do it yourself"

You must be registered for see images attach

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must go like it is shown. How would you get it behind the pump flange? You sure could not tighten the bolts if you did get it behind the flange. :dunno

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, I'm a idiot.
I was trying to install the pulley backwards. I looked at the FSM and it was clear as day, I thought it had to be lined up to where both pulleys lined up between the water pump pulley and the crank pulley but only one needs to be lined up. Oh and the spacer does go on top of the pulley according to the manual.

Learning the ways of the IDI the hard way,haha..