water in fuel

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a small incident this morning going to work, about 5 degrees this am truck fired up ok, about 6 miles from home fuel filter light flashes, i let off the go pedal and it went out. gave it more fuel and it came back on about a 1/2 mile later it dies. i pulled off the hiway and let it set for a few minutes,activated the electric fuel pump and checked the scharder valve, got some fuel so i cranked it and it fired up finished my trip and drained the fuel filter which is only two weeks old.
my questions, how much water does it take to stop the fuel flow to injector pump and what do you guys use to get rid of water? by the way i use power servce every tank usually double dose
thanks, gunnie

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Usually the water stays at the bottom but to stop the engine it must be more than just a couple ounces. To get rid of water You can open the valve on the base of the fuel filter and empty it and then just turn the electric pump ON a few times and let the air come out and then crank the engine and see if there is sign of any more water, if that where the case then You might want to empty the fuel tank and look for the source of all this water. There are some fuel additives to treat the water but I don't know how effective.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, your truck has a filter restriction light AND a water in fuel light. If so and you had a light come on that said something about the filter, possibly some gelling, crud (bad load of fuel?) or something in the tank getting caught in the pickup screen.
James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7