water fuel separator

tim13

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1983 F250 6.9l diesel, I have attempted to locate the water/fuel separator but cannot find it. It is not on the firewall. The water/fuel light is lite up on in the dash and I am concerned. Does anyone have suggestions?

nhwrench01

Reaction score
I think its on the filter on the passenger side on the engine. under the filter. you might try draining it. if the 6.9 has a drain, its been a long time for me with the 6.9/// . someone with more knowledge will chime in , im sure. a quick google search will help too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I think its on the filter on the passenger side on the engine. under the filter. you might try draining it. if the 6.9 has a drain, its been a long time for me with the 6.9/// . someone with more knowledge will chime in , im sure. a quick google search will help too.

Wrong. it should be next to the brake booster on the fender side. If you have cruise (like in the pic below), it's behind it. It has a keychain looking loop that you stick our finger through and you can pull it up to drain it. Check the drain hose end for a bolt or other type of plug to be sure it can drain.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are prone to air leaks. Pulling up on the loop could let a lot of air in because it doesn't seat well after 30 or so years.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
They are prone to air leaks. Pulling up on the loop could let a lot of air in because it doesn't seat well after 30 or so years.

In that case, you remove it and rebuild it with new o-rings. Problem solved.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup. on my last '87 i did just that. This time I won't touch it, until it's time for the heave ho.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
yup. on my last '87 i did just that. This time I won't touch it, until it's time for the heave ho.

OP said "water in fuel" is lighting up so trying to drain is a good idea, even if it might let in air.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen that light come on. Not even at start up. Just saying if he uses it, the possibility is there that it won''t seal again. That's what happened to me years ago.

Reactions: dgr

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I've never seen that light come on. Not even at start up. Just saying if he uses it, the possibility is there that it won''t seal again. That's what happened to me years ago.

It should light up momentarily on cranking/starting or you might have a burned out bulb. Even my RV does and the harness at the W/S isn't even connected to anything because the factory one is gone. Pretty sure my F250 does the same, with it's factory W/S still there.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to find it it to look behind the drivers wheel well for the drain hose and follow it up. That's the hose you'll want to put a bolt or valve in after you pull the drain to drain any water.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online