Waste Fuel Shut Downs

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run 100 percent in one tank, diesel mix in the other, the mix varies with the number of returns of WMO in the tank.

Josh, what kind of "thinner" do you use, if any, when you filter the wmo fuel that's the 100%.
Had a thought just use a little bit gas to filter your 100% wmo, maybe make it easier to start, but still be close to 100%.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I call it one hundred percent, but i guess it's probably 96 or 97 percent. I add a couple of gallons to a 50 gal batch. and some of that gets boiled off, because I heat the oil to a boil. My uneducated guess is the boiling is mostly gasoline and residual water. I have seemingly gotten the best mileage from oil that accidentally got hot enough to smoke and boiled over. Forgetting you have 7.5 Kw of heat input in oil, will get you boiled over oil. Typically use 7.5 Kw to bring up to temperature, and 3 to 1.5 to maintain temp as needed. I stop heating at the point I no longer see brownish air bubbles coming up. The oil as long as it's heated flows through the fuges just fine, and filters as well. I have seen that gasoline does help the oil drop it's carbon suspension. Thats the only reason I add what little I add, it to help it clean up. Oil at 220 to 230 flows very well anyway. If I could find a way to make the oil drops it's particulate faster without using RUG or diesel I would.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that looks like a really good process for filtering.
Could you add the gas after the heating process???
How about some kerro, or something like that.
Think it was guy called Devilish here on OB, talked about using a mineral oil like stuff that print shops use to clean printing equipment.
Has the viscosity of gasoline but still oil like stuff.
Hope your filtering area is well ventilated, I'd to hear about someone here getting burned or worse.
But it does sound really good.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never worried about any contaimination when switching from WMO to diesel. Never had any issues and I was running 100% in 1 tank and 100% diesel in the other in the middle of winter. Occasional 0* days here and commonly 15-25* average. <br><br>Last year I got the perfect mix using old gas and WMO. It was about the viscoity of diesel, might have been a 70/30 to 60/40 concetration. I would start up and shutdown on it with no problems in my 93. I went back to almost 99% WMO when it got warmer, adding around 5 gallons give or take to approximately 200 only to help settle water and trash.<br><br>I run this mixture in my 95 PSD as well and it starts even with bad glow plugs currently.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kalashnikov,
Not trying to be picky, could it be that it's a Powerstroke maybe make a difference in starting.
I don't know enough about PSD's to make a educated quess why it starts better, maybe computer controlled injectors:dunno
Glad it works for you.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll bite, cold in FL, how cold?
I am curious about your additive you use, you probably mentioned it before but I forgot.

I used Diesel Kleen with Cetane Boost in the grey bottles, I have now switched to AMSOIL Diesel
additives, I had good results with both. I get a better deal buying the AMSOIL since I am a Dealer.
Cold down here is not cold, lowest is in the 40s so I make sure it is plugged in 2/3 hours, it will start
right up!

@ Josh Carmack Buddy! Try plugging in your truck for an hour or two, Easier to plug it in than
finding the right tools to get at that top starter bolt!
I use only the block heater to start my truck, My glow plugs don't work.

Javier

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Josh Carmack Buddy! Try plugging in your truck for an hour or two, Easier to plug it in than
finding the right tools to get at that top starter bolt!
I use only the block heater to start my truck, My glow plugs don't work.

One regular 6 inch extension, one wobble 2" extension with an impact ready swivel joint and a 3/8th impact, I can literally have the starter off and replaced in about 15 minutes. I used to run my own shop bout 15 years ago, and got spoiled to the good tools way back then, even after having 8,000.00 worth of snap on tools stolen, I still buy the good stuff when I need it. Most specialty tools will pay for themselves the first or second time you need them.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kalashnikov,
Not trying to be picky, could it be that it's a Powerstroke maybe make a difference in starting.
I don't know enough about PSD's to make a educated quess why it starts better, maybe computer controlled injectors:dunno
Glad it works for you.

I've only run the powerstroke on WMO this summer, I just got it this past march. have run my 89 NA IDI on WMO year round as have I my 93 turbo.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One regular 6 inch extension, one wobble 2" extension with an impact ready swivel joint and a 3/8th impact, I can literally have the starter off and replaced in about 15 minutes. I used to run my own shop bout 15 years ago, and got spoiled to the good tools way back then, even after having 8,000.00 worth of snap on tools stolen, I still buy the good stuff when I need it. Most specialty tools will pay for themselves the first or second time you need them.

$8,000 Snap-On Tools? was that just the wrench Drawer? Or the Pliers Drawer?

Oh and for you guys running WMO, lately I have ran out of oil so I simply added $$$$ pump fuel to my truck and I am unimpressed with the clean fuel, I get the air in fuel nitrous boost like I did before on USDSL and the engine is noiser, and the worst is the longer hot start cranks, I cant wait to go back to the real stuff...

Javier

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$8,000 Snap-On Tools? was that just the wrench Drawer? Or the Pliers Drawer?

Oh and for you guys running WMO, lately I have ran out of oil so I simply added $$$$ pump fuel to my truck and I am unimpressed with the clean fuel, I get the air in fuel nitrous boost like I did before on USDSL and the engine is noiser, and the worst is the longer hot start cranks, I cant wait to go back to the real stuff...

Javier

Thats nice to hear wmo has some benefits other than cost..
Not that I want non wmo users to have problems.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck starts with 100% wmo on a day degree day.

I mix according what the temps will be like.

If it's going to be 70-80, then I add 10% diesel. 60-70 might be 15%, colder then 60 is 25% diesel.

Keep in mind my filter has twice the filter media of the factory unit.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idiabuse, that was just the logo on the box!
Been too lazy to finish my new processing rig, and had to cannibalize my other to build it. SO I have been running on pump dsl for a few weeks, and I can say the truck really doesn't start any better on hot days with a cold engine on DSL than it does oil. Again, my glow plugs are non functioning. It takes a splash of gasoline to crank it if it has been sitting for more than 8 hours. I prefer gasoline over ether, because it's a lot cheaper. When the glow plugs functioned correctly, it started fine in colder temps on an oil mix, I forget the percent, but it was high on oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle