wanting to rebuild 7.3 for my truck

Tyrod

Reaction score
I picked my truck up off of a farmer when i wrecked my mustang and have slowly been working on making it a great and reliabe work truck, and now i think its time to rebuild the engine. So im trying to figure an estimate on the total cost to build it that way i can decide what a may want to sale my mustang for as it sets instead of fixing it. I also wondered where the best place to buy parts to rebuild the 7.3 would be:dunno

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What leads you believe the motor needs to be rebuilt? How many miles are on it? Also have you compression tested the motor?

-Jordan-

Tyrod

Reaction score
well bad blow by, that progesivly gets worse. It was a farm truck sence it was new till i got my hands on it therefore i would be willing to bet that it has many hours of just idling on the engine. The miles im not sure how many times it has rolled over but it now sets at 32,000. I also just really want to build an engine for it, considering that i have an extra 7.3 to build so that my truck would not see much down time except to swap engines

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding an idi can seem overwhelming but you'll have a motor that should last 3-400,000 miles. Like Marblecrusher said, why do you think it needs rebuilt? If it was taken care of most of us wouldn't even consider it before 300,000 miles. How does it run? Use oil/water? Blue smoke? These are pretty tough motors.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. Blow-by is not a good sign but you have that xtra motor that's a plus. Bet you're right about the idle time. Far as parts alot of the guys on here can fix you up with the good [ and bad ] suppliers. And hi-performance parts/tricks. Good luck!!

Tyrod

Reaction score
I relize they are tuff engines, we had one in a work truck that made it to 700,000 before selling it. The engine in the truck was not very well taken care of, when i got it the air filter had to of weighed 30 pounds it had so much junk in it, and if the air filter was that bad i would hate to know what else was not done to keep the truck nice. Its the non-turboed truck so im also looking for more power than what it has

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tyrod is your extra engine a NA unit? also are you going to turbo the truck? there are lots of places to get rebuild kits just shop around. I would take your core apart and see what the cylinder walls look like. recon on the block is verry expensive. so if the block has a huge ridge you are rolling the dice to bore it.

Tyrod

Reaction score
i do not no if it was originaly a na engine because when i picked up the truck it came out of it already had the banks setup on it, and the interior of the pickup had been caught on fire so the vin is melted off. Is there anywhere else for the vin to be other than the door or plate on the dash? Iv done some shoping around online and was wondering of some sugested places to get the rebuild kits that other members have used before. As for the block if it has a real bad ridge then i was debating on possibly sleaving it? And yes i am going to turbo the truck.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes sleave it!!!!! DO NOT BORE IT OUT!!! 7.3s are already to thin thats why they are **** to the big c

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We do have a couple of long time members here that have 7.3 blocks that were bored 20 over and all was well with them but thats not the norm. One of our members towed heavy many miles with that bored block.

Tyrod

Reaction score
Got ta love forums haha rarely does everyone have the same opinion of things LOL but i still appreciate all advice. Does anyone know of some websites that i might could look at for pricing of parts?

Tyrod

Reaction score
well i guess i got some thinking to do then on how i will build it. Trailered the truck the extra engine is in over to my shop today so i could start taking the engine out when i find some free time between customers vehicles. I would also like one of the typ4 cams when i get to that point and prolly a set of moose injectors :D

Tyrod

Reaction score
Something for typ4 after reading his sig. Its a 2384cc engine with turbo in a street legal buggy, that my dad now owns and my cousin built

Attachments

• 15694_102594829772951_100000673037931_71546_7832513_n.jpg
    15694_102594829772951_100000673037931_71546_7832513_n.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2