want more power with little smoke.

thirstyram

Reaction score
hi , i have a 97 6bt, i'm interested in more horsepower with little or no smoke. now i have a 230 horse plate, BHAF and 4" turbo back. also just had the trans rebuilt with triple disc spec rite conv and red eagle clutches and kevlar bands heavy duty flexplate etc etc. stock shafts though. went with thier low stall steel stator converter. i'm getting gauges installed and an adjustable boost controller. i dont have much experiance with diesels, but i'm wowed that you can increase HP and Torque, and fuel mleage stays up, unless you;re on the go pedal heavy! wondering what to do next. also starting to run low on funds. any help/advise will be mucho appreciado! Thanks, Justin

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm not sure which plate profile you have. I ran a #10 in my 95 truck (160 hp stock pump) with the 3k gov springs, AFC spring kit, boost control elbow and custom made injectors, and massaged over turbo, 3 piece exhaust manifold and cup holders and she would lite the tires on command while getting 22 mpg if you drove it like you had some sense (yes I still rolled smoke every now and again)... It was a stick so that helped.

thirstyram

Reaction score
I have a #8 fuel plate now. i'm considering a #5. whatever i get it needs to make a lot of power right off the line cause of the low stall converter. what is an AFC spring kit? ain't heard of that yet. is there an advantage to getting extra fuel from the injectors vs. a hotter fuel plate? what is a massaged over turbo? like i said, i'm new to this.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
If you are looking for power off the line, you need a 0 plate, it is the most agressive. Take out that number 8 and grind it flat. The AFC apring kit is not something you want for little or no smoke, the AFC is what limits fueling under no/low boost conditions. So if anything you will want to tighten the AFC spring by turning the star wheel toward the firewall.
Massasged turbo is just that he had it machined a little bigger. You are in new/bigger turbo territory now. The stock HX35 is going to limit you beyond what you have now. Get them gauges! And skip the boost "controller" elbow. Junk! You have a wastegated turbo, just tighten up the wastegate to limit boost to 35 PSI on your stock head and head gasket. Over that you need head studs.
And, if you havent already get a Governor spring kit, get one! For the 100-200 bucks one can be had for it is worth every penny. Keep in mind if you go ver 3200 RPMs like with a 4K RPM kit, you MUST have upgraded 60# valve springs. If you look around on the forums on the net, you can find new GSK's (gov spring kits) for 100 bucks. And the 60 springs are 120 bucks.

thirstyram

Reaction score
thanks a bunch for the input,argve and cowboy customs. i've got my truck in the shop now, getting gauges.(pyro,boost,atf temp). i'm all out of extra cash right now, or i would do more. i am gonna save you're responces for future referance. thanks again, justin