W116 finally has new shoes (and feet)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Trying to keep things alive here ;) just thought I'd post a picture of my "new" '79 300SD. I finally got the steel lug-centric rims off and have a set of "bundt-cake" wheels on the car now. This is coupled with "new" tires.

Either Mercedes cars really don't like lug-centric rims or one of the wheels was badly out of balance, because she drives like a completely different car now. She's more comfortable at 70 than she was at 50 before swapping tires/wheels. The right front wheel bearings need to be repacked/replaced, the shocks are bad, and she pulls to the left for whatever reason, but otherwise, things seem pretty happy as far as steering and suspension go... :cool

Attachments

• Left Front 4-26-06.jpg
    Left Front 4-26-06.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 11

Meta6981

Reaction score
Look much much better, still want to take a crack behind the wheel the other night was not a good time. but very nice we need to get all our MBs together and clean em up then take a cruise somewhere. catch u later tim

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Contrary to popular opinion, I'm still here... :D What's the deal with the pull to the left? Does it happen only when the brakes are on, or always? I think it's one of those problems you'll be forced to deal with very soon.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monte, the pull is constant (it's also not too severe). My friend who put the tires on also gave the front suspension and steering a once-over and said that things look good...so I'm leaning towards a sticky brake caliper, unless the alignment's that far off.

Unfortuantely, school's kept me so busy that I haven't had a chance to really look at the car in detail myself...

Meta6981

Reaction score
well i know in helga that she likes to pull to the right even though she has been aligned. i need to rework the suspension soon she is gettting close to needing new shocks. ALso how severe is the pull. All the vehicles i have drivin have had a pull to one direction or the other, might be tire wear already on the tires since they are new to you tires??

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meta6981 said:
ALso how severe is the pull. All the vehicles i have drivin have had a pull to one direction or the other, might be tire wear already on the tires since they are new to you tires??
The pull's not bad at all. If you let go of the wheel, the car will start drifting to the left...but very slowly (considerably slower than I merge lanes, and you know how slow that is!), and only light pressure's needed to keep the car going straight.

The pull was also present with the old tires, so I don't think the tires have anything to do with it. My only issue with the tires is that they ride harsh...you feel the slightest bump or seam. According to Seth, that's the nature of the beast...this brand of tires is notorious for doing that. So, I'll live with it until I can justify new tires...but these tires have a bit of life left in 'em...

Meta6981

Reaction score
Ahhh. Yeah i think most cars are aligned to pull to one side or the other incase the driver falls asleep or something so that they will hit the bumps and jolt them back to reality. I need to replace all the front steering and suspension parts sometimes helga gets a little loose. Most of the time on the freeway if you are cruiseing at around 70 she will do alright. Any way i have fairly decent toe wear on the LF tire which is due to the suspension. This summer i am going to work ALOT and make $$$$$$$$$$$ so i can do this and hopefully get my van running too.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meta6981 said:
I need to replace all the front steering and suspension parts sometimes helga gets a little loose.
You know, you should be careful about how loudly you broadcast Helga's looseness...next thing you know, this thread's going to be in the Refinery :Sly :rotflmao

This summer i am going to work ALOT and make $$$$$$$$$$$ so i can do this and hopefully get my van running too.
Famous last words...isn't that about what you said last year? :)

Meta6981

Reaction score
That was uncalled for :backoff :draw :backoff , but if you have seen the sticker representing helga she looks like she might be a bit loose (she is a big girl :D ). ANd i didn't work **** last summer and i never recall saying that. I am motivated this year proably going to pick up some patrol shifts for those hours and i been talking with my boss about a raise and possible promotion. Least i have been working ;Poke :flipa (Just messing with ya tim)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's going up on a lift as soon as I have time, and going to look at every last piece of the suspension setup. It's a different animal from the 123/126, that's for sure! No guide rods or mounts, for example...

Meta6981

Reaction score
I need to tear into mine on the lift too and inspect suspension also. Getting a little bit soft. It makes me wonder how she will handle with firm shocks.