Voltage Regulator $40??

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called our local NAPA and they want $40 for the 70 amp voltage regulator (I assume that's what we use--they also had a 160A piece).

Does that not sound a bit high? I *am* in Monterey, but still...

ON EDIT: I found one at AutoZone for $15... ahhh.... more like it.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa!! :eek: I was gonna say I don't think I've ever paid more than 15 bucks. Usually about 12 from Advance. For some reason I seem to go through alot of em too! I keep a spare in the tool box! Cheap insurance.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ericboutin said:
Whoa!! :eek: I was gonna say I don't think I've ever paid more than 15 bucks. Usually about 12 from Advance. For some reason I seem to go through alot of em too! I keep a spare in the tool box! Cheap insurance.

Good deal! Of course, if the VR is the cause of my current brightening/dimming lights, then I only got 2 years out of the last one... At $15 a pop I guess 2 years is a reasonble life expectancy...

Wonder if the $40 part would last 5+ years? (HA! I'd be surprised if they were any different than the $15 part).

We'll be rolling in somewhere near you in March... moving to Sumter.

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mike-
Check your grounds.
There is a difference on the more expensive regs. The regs I pay $40 for have a removable cover(screw on instead of riveted) and has a manually adjustable cut-in for full voltage. Most emerg vehicles spend a boatload of time idling with full electrical running, so I dial in the cut-in at slightly off idle. The down side to this is the batts are getting cooked at high rpm. That is also why I change out batts yearly. I just finished going though a pallet load of group 65's for yearly changeouts. believe me, the primary batt's are junk. the secondaries are a crapshoot.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one from AutoZone which lasted 13 months. The one from Napa has been on there for several years with no problems.

With the +10 year old eom regulator and the AZ regulator, both failed high, ie began charging at 18-20V. Had to disconnect the regulator both times to protect the batteries.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Think I gave $12 @ NAPA for the VR last year for the Beef that just went into the Gold one yesterday.....Solved the bright/dim issues @ idle. ;Sweet

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I got Kragen to Match AutoZone's price plus 5%. $14.24 for the VR fixed my problem with fluctuating voltage gauge and dim/bright/dim headlights.

Yay!

Now, I do have a question... The instructions for the VR said resistance between the field terminal and ground needs to be between 2 and 6 ohms. I played around on the field terminal and eventually think I got a good reading, which eventually became 0 ohms. The instructions say anything below 2 ohms indicates a short circuit in the "system", whatever that is...

Should I worry about this or can I drive and enjoy? The new VR fixed the physical symptoms... I'm not sure that I wouldn't know in other ways if there was a short in the system.

Thank you,

Mike

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
We'll be rolling in somewhere near you in March... moving to Sumter.

Mike

Wow Cool!! ;Sweet Sumter is only about 1 1/2 hours away just SE of where I am. We're located at the intersection of I-85 and I-26. Sumter is pretty close to the beach! :thumbsup: What brings you over this way? Job transfer?
It would be cool to have another IDI'r pretty close - you're coming just in time too, looks like the IDI weekend is gonna be in TN. this year with Tanya and BJ hosting. :thumbsup:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ericboutin said:
Wow Cool!! ;Sweet Sumter is only about 1 1/2 hours away just SE of where I am. We're located at the intersection of I-85 and I-26. Sumter is pretty close to the beach! :thumbsup: What brings you over this way? Job transfer?
It would be cool to have another IDI'r pretty close - you're coming just in time too, looks like the IDI weekend is gonna be in TN. this year with Tanya and BJ hosting. :thumbsup:

Sounds good... perhaps I'll have the truck and will be in attendance--been wanting to attend an IDI for awhile...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle