Alternator putting out low voltage/injector replacement

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...one of the reasons (pretty much the main reason, honestly) I choose to drive these old IDIs is because I'm cheap. The 3G alternator is around $200. A 1G is under $100."

Ummm....
Just posted the other day by papadiesel:

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm....
Just posted the other day by papadiesel:

Well, that's enough of a reason to upgrade; one is on the way. Thanks!

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes and any hiccups you might run into.
I ordered one too but I probably won't get to it soon since mine is running fine at the moment.
It sounds like you'll need to get 1 bolt according to the post linked by oldgoat. Maybe you could let us know the size after you get it.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes and any hiccups you might run into.
I ordered one too but I probably won't get to it soon since mine is running fine at the moment.
It sounds like you'll need to get 1 bolt according to the post linked by oldgoat. Maybe you could let us know the size after you get it.
That's why I'm here. I will keep you guys updated.

CharlesG

Reaction score
When I upgraded to a 3g alt, it didn't come with a bolt. I drilled out the hole and tapped it to reuse the original bolt.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think you need to check your batteries individually. Even at 13.2v charging, you should still be seeing a fully charged battery bank after running a while.

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at recent post on deal alert they are old stock reman but I bought them too and they are excellent test out great 59 bucks apiece

1983idi

Reaction score
There isnt a better upgrade to do to these trucks than the 3g alternator......
It's one of the best for sure. I think electric fuel pump to eliminate the chance of a diaphragm blowing and dumping fuel in the oil and taking the engine out is the best upgrade... of course to run the electric pump requires more amps which leads to a 3g alternator upgrade!

Black dawg

Reaction score
It's one of the best for sure. I think electric fuel pump to eliminate the chance of a diaphragm blowing and dumping fuel in the oil and taking the engine out is the best upgrade... of course to run the electric pump requires more amps which leads to a 3g alternator upgrade!
Have seen a diaphragm fail that way one time in the almost 35 years I have been around these......

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ (typ4) was the one who told me about the adjustable voltage regulator for the 1G alternator 12 years ago. I contacted him a few day ago and apparently they are now discontinued. He may be able to get ahold of one, but for now I'll be putting this in. It just showed up at the Post Office this afternoon. It's in good shape; no complaints.

Attachments

• 20220412_180447.jpg
    20220412_180447.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 7

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where I'm leaving it at tonight. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the bolt hole is too small on the 3G. A quick pass with a 5/16 drill followed by a little threading with a 3/8-16 tap and I could use the 1G bolt.
A couple of observations: the boss on the bottom of the 3G alternator was about .003 too large. I took a file and barely knocked it down and it fit perfectly. Also, Mr. Roboto's thread in the tech articles mentions he used a 2 mm shim under the pulley on the 3G alternator to have it spaced correctly. The difference between the two alternators I have was less than 1/2 mm, so I'm just gonna run it. If it throws the belt I'll shim it out.

Attachments

• 20220412_200639.jpg
    20220412_200639.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my 3g last night. My issue was the back of the pulley rubbing on the case. I chose to grind off some of the case. Probably 0.030” or so, I didn’t measure. The top bolt hole was M8x1.25 and I just used a new bolt, after cleaning the threads up with a tap. The wiring was easy for me, I already had a 3g harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online