vibration that comes and goes????

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have a vibration issue and had it for awhile now. Seems like a tire is out of balance but is not always the front tires or the rear. Seem only to happen every now and then. Happens more often after been driving awhile 20 miles or more. So I tried new tires and they balanced out great with the most weight on one wheel was 5 oz. Then I installed dyna beads just to help the balance (37" tires) Got the alignment and all front steering componets checked out fine. My question is I took my front passenger shock off and it is shot. So I'm guessing the rest are shot too. Would bad shocks cause a tire out of balance feeling every now and then. :dunno

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i know bad shocks can cause some funky tire wear with cupping on the inside i believe.

take a good look at the u-joints and carrier bearings they are common culperates for vibration.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did replace all the u-joints in the front few weeks ago, the rear drive shaft (1 piece) seemed fine, Had no play or slop in it. So I ASSUME it is fine? I'm ordering shocks tomarrow, just didn't know if this was the root cause or not.Maybe I was overlooking something simple.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes bad shocks can cause an intermittant vibration. The tires can start bouncing when you hit bumps instead of absorbing the shock. I've seen cars go down the road with tires bouncing so bad instead of holding the road that it ain't funny.

Did they check the bushings on the trailing arms (sorry can't remember the correct name of these right now). Bad bushings here on the twin traction beam suspension can cause what they call the death wobble.

Check the rivets on the suspension mounts too, I've seen these bad many times on lifted big tire Ford 4x4's with the TTB front ends

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
Also have the brake drums checked. I did the tire thing then noticed chunks of the rear drums missing due to rust replaced both - very smooth for last two years.

One of the line shafts (including axles) would have been my next choice, could also be wheel bearing...

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its doubtfull that they checked the bushings on the twin beam, If your talking about the radius arm bushings (i think thats the name). Really never thought about that though. How do you check to see if this needs replaced? When the front end seems to shake. It does feel like the tires are wobbling. when I did u-joints in the front I also did bearings, put new manual hubs in. I thought the wobble could be fixed by a steering stabalizer but havn't bought this yet.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
Its doubtfull that they checked the bushings on the twin beam, If your talking about the radius arm bushings (i think thats the name). Really never thought about that though. How do you check to see if this needs replaced? When the front end seems to shake. It does feel like the tires are wobbling. when I did u-joints in the front I also did bearings, put new manual hubs in. I thought the wobble could be fixed by a steering stabalizer but havn't bought this yet.

There called Pivot Bushings. I bought mine yesterday at O'reilly. The part number for my '94 F350 is MOO-K8672 There $13.49 each (2 needed per vehicle). To check them raise the wheel off the ground (place jack directly under coil spring area) and try to move the wheel (left to right) and watch the Beam where it connects to the pivot bushing. It's best to have someone move the tire while you look at the pivot bushing from the other side of the vehicle. The pivot bushing for the drivers side is closer to the passengers side (& vis versa) since the beams cross past center of the vehicle. Mine had over 1/4 inch of motion in it.

I'm not sure about the difficulties of changing them yet since I'm planning on doing it tomorrow but I know from jacking and watching the beams that the coil spring pressure is going to be a factor during this event. I may need more than one jack for this job.

My truck has a steering stabilizer and still wobbles. So, if it is pivot bushings a stabilizer bar will not make the death wobble go away.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Your in for a fun job. Shimon mor over @ tds had a pretty good write up on the process.

From what I've read, Death Wobble is usually caused by bad track bar bushings/mounts. With a lift, you need the track bar drop bracket

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
Your in for a fun job. Shimon mor over @ tds had a pretty good write up on the process.

From what I've read, Death Wobble is usually caused by bad track bar bushings/mounts. With a lift, you need the track bar drop bracket

As you probably know, the search feature on tds is lame. I can't find Shimonmor's write up. Do you have links?

Thanks,

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, but I do not have coil springs. I have leaf springs. I thought there was a bushing where the twin beams bolted together. Sorry for the confusion, have several ideas going through my head of what to do first. My shocks will be here monday and I'll try that. But i did jack the front end up today and I can't find any play in anything. drag link is tight and tie rod ends look good too. no wobble in the wheels at all when off the ground. let you know what happens monday night. thanks for all the info again.

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
did your vibration go away with shocks or what else did you find
i just got my rear driveshaft back at cost of 550 all new joints hangar bearing, used rear shaft and a spline section balaced as well . now truck vibrates in frt intermitant

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well After I did all new balljoints and u-joints and complete front end I still had a vibration that I could drive into and drive out of. It was mainly around 40mph to 55 mph. So I went took my buddies tires and wheel off of his truck and drove for a weekend. Vibration was gone. So needless to say I narrowed it down to tires I guess. I also found out when previous owner had the truck lifted 6" the driveshaft was never replaced with longer one. So I had a truck shop make me a new driveshaft and balanced for $120. Good deal I thought. That made a difference too at higher rpms. Hope this helps. I did everytjing my self except the driveshaft so it didn't really cost alot just time.