Upper Ball Joint

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
How big a deal is it to replace the upper Ball Joint on a '94 F250 4WD?
Will my '86 FSM give me the correct information?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
procedure is pretty much the same with all 4wds. the parts may be a little heftier for the d50 though.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i remember that thread, it is a lobor intensive job to do. i again highly reccomend a ball joint press and a tool that screws onto the spindle that allows you to use a slid hammer to get it off. sometimes you get lucky and these parts arent to tight that you need that stuff but i have never been that lucky. its far better to have the tools and it go easy then not have them and fight for literally hours.

tapping the ball joint press with a hammer can help it allong to break parts loose.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Tell me more about the slide hammer technique. Onto what does the slide hammer attach?
Is that to remove the spindle from the control arms?
Is it better than the BFH?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about the slide hammer technique. Onto what does the slide hammer attach?
Is that to remove the spindle from the control arms?
Is it better than the BFH?
the slide hammer is the "approved" way of doing it. it also takes the longest to get the spindle off. the BFH and the bottle jack is the quick and dirty way to get-r-dun:D It works and damn fast too;Sweet

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
OK, tell me more about the bottle jack. I understand hitting the "right" spot with the BFH. What is the purpose of the bottle jack?

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I have a ball joint press I picked up from harbor freight that you can try if your interested.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
slide hammer threads onto the end of the spindle like the nuts. you than thread on your favorite slide hammer bang away.

i think what Calvin is doing with the bottle jack is jacking underneath the edge of the spindle with the nuts out and hitting it with a hammer ot break it loose. just dont jack directly against the threads put a piece of wood in between.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, tell me more about the bottle jack. I understand hitting the "right" spot with the BFH. What is the purpose of the bottle jack?
here's my experience...
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15675
note....
D50 and D60 spindles are the same. the bottle jack is used for leverage. I put it on the outer bearing part with a 2x4 as the cushion.
Items needed not listed in the factory manual...
BFH
Kroil
12 pack of beer(for the celebration when the whole damn thing comes apart)

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
OK, I need help!

I think I might have confused things a bit. The spindle was relatively easy. Its the STEERING KNUCKLE that is giving me fits.
The upper Ball Joint popped out of the axle pretty easily. But the bottom is a ******. If I am reading the FSM correctly, it says to use a plastic or rawhide mallet. I've been whaling away with 2 and 10 pound hammers to no effect. What gives?
Is there a "sweet spot" that will magically release the lower ball joint?

I have soaked all around the stud with PB Blaster, and loosened the nut so that the top of the stud is sitting lower than the nut. Then I put the blunt air hammer tool on the stud, and let the nut keep the tool from sliding off. Then I pulled the trigger for like 5 or 10 minutes.
Now I think its time to ask for more help. Its also time to rest my ears.
Help!

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
BF Pickle Fork!!!!
Ball joint removal/installation tool would not press the BJ out of the knuckle. $15 at the machine shop, and I am good to go.

A short break and I will be back at it this afternoon. Hope to have all issues done by Monday.