Upgrading to 4x4 and other stuff - partial roller photos and what year is best choice

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all the input on moving to a newer truck has given me more ammo to upgrade and fix what i have - convert it to 4xx4 and upgrade to newer 10,25 long pinion 3.55 trac loc. I would like to stay with my C6 and have decided rather than go with GV or DNE to just swap the 4.10 to a 3.55 to get my hiway RPM drop I need for fuel economy and avoiding permanent hearing loss. It's not perfect but it is 15%. If I need more low torque I'll get it from 1 and 2 out of the C6. So what year parts truck should I look for - I was thinking 94 to 96 for the front and rear Diffs. what front Diff should I get, Dana 60 ? and what transfer case is the one of choice for the C6 in my truck? I just missed this rolling chassis from a 96 7.3 4x4 with a blown 7.3. He just sold the Dana 60 and steering linkage to someone in Maryland (allright who on here got my Diff...lol). I figure I will still need all the brackets and spring hangers. The front leafs are also gone. Other than that the rest is as seen as a roller less front end. It is a 3.55 trac loc. What would you think this partial roller would be worth or would it be best to just hold and find another complete one? He has no drive shafts either. I really would only get all spring hangers and shock mounts, rear diff and springs, 2 good fuel tanks, a few spare engine pieces and a transfer case to sell. I can get all stuff in photos less front end for a reasonable offer - what is a fair price? It would be a decent start toward a conversion but missing a lot.

Did a quick overview of C/L in my area and can get a complete 85-95 3/4 4x4 parts truck for $600 to $1500 - some IDI's and Gas

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Wild man,
Glad to see you plan. On keeping the truck. Im just south of you in Oregon if you decide to go through with the 4x4 swap and may be able to help you out on some parts. Pulling a good 4x4 C6 out of my daily driver and I also have a spare transfer case too. May have some other parts too off my 88' F250 parts truck before I crush it like spring hangers and such...I'll keep an eye out for other parts for you down here. Give me a shout through PM if this stuff might help you out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting swap indeed, however lets pause and think about the LEAST amount of work and best outcome!

That being said, consider a newer front diff from a Super Duty with coil sprung front end and radius arms. This would require the addition of two radius arm brackets and you can use your springs or the SD ones if need be.

This would also give you a matching rear with disk brakes and 10.5 rear end.

I'm just saying this is an option to consider.

I agree with LCAM that you should consider a 4x transmission be it a C6 or a mildly built E4OD and you can get an OD out of the deal and keep 4.10 gears then.

I'll leave it at that for you to ponder for a bit...

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online