U-Joint Question

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just changed my rear drive shaft ujoints and enter supoort bearing the other day. Took a 40 minute round trip same day and then another to drop a couch off today. Up over 55 I'm still getting the same vibration in my feet.

This time the second I got back I felt each ujoint. The front 3 on the Dana 44 were somewhat cool. The front drive shaft is removed. The transfer case to shaft joint was warm but the yoke was warmer and the case was warm as well so I'm assuming thats ok. Middle joint and bearing were both cool. Rear most joint was slightly warm but the rear diff was fairly hot. Don't have a temp gun so cant give temps.

Is it safe to assume the new joints are good? I greased them well and gave everything a tap so they were free of resistance. I marked everything to keep them lined up. I won't know if changing the fronts will fix it but plan to in the next few days.

Taking this thing to Massachusetts in 1 week. Ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to do some experimenting.

Does it vibrate when accelerating? None at all, more or less vibration?

How about when going down a steep hill and letting off the throttle at speed. More or less vibration?

Or does it only vibrate when you are "inbetween" on the throttle? Not accelerating, not decelerating, but just lightly maintaining.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and experiment. I was trying to get on and off the throttle on the highway but its a short stretch. I'll report my findings tomorrow

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, you mentioned the front drive shaft is removed but are the hubs unlocked so the axle halfs spin freely? My Dana 50 always has a slight vibration when the hubs are locked in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: dgr

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, you mentioned the front drive shaft is removed but are the hubs unlocked so the axle halfs spin freely? My Dana 50 always has a slight vibration when the hubs are locked in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Just checked and my driver side was locked for some reason. Passenger side was not. Lets hope it was easy as that. I also don't know the fluid level or condition of the tcase or either diff but plan to do that this week before the trip too.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright @tjsea you were correct, vibration is gone. Went as quick as I could up the on ramp and continued up the big hill. Went bare foot to really feel it and it was smooth. Minus the poor alignment, but I can live with that.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What socket/size didyou use to remove rear driveshaft? Mine is some odd socket I've never seen before on my 91 F250HD 4x4

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely a Torx socket, can't remember the size. Somewhere around a T-35 or T-40.

Make sure you have the right size, if it's a little loose it'll strip out. The correct size will be nice and snug.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The support bearing was a metric size. I wanna say 8mm, don't remember off the top of my head. And the nuts hiding up top are 3/4 or 19mm, unless yours has the clips then its just the allen head bolt.

Also my large impact and lots of pb blaster. If you don't get it in your mouth you're not using enough.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you how many times I had gone to lock in my hubs and one was already locked. Lol don't know if I forgot, someone did it walking by, etc.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Happened to me once, so far.

I am very conscientious about both being locked or unlocked. First because of the chevy guy's experience. And second because of my own experience with the broken hub.

I always pay a great deal of attention to getting them right.

Yet, got home one day. Stopped before the steep grades, to lock them in. And yup. One was already locked in.

Thing is, I had unlocked them in the same area of the road, on my way out that morning. I have no doubt that I did both, correctly.

Someone in some parking lot somewhere thought it would be funny if they wrecked my 4WD. (Not knowing, of course, it's a Ford and would be unaffected. LOL)

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree.

Maybe have vinyl stickers made?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88