typ4 cam

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
supposedly the typ4 cam will do the same as the R&D performance cam just cant seem to find any for sale except ebay i know someone knows the website for them or the guy i need to contact just cant seem to find it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A typ4 cam is the one the member here by the name of typ4 sells. His name is Russ, PM him here and he will respond in time.

This IS the website.

Yes it does the same thing as an R n D cam...it causes the lifters to act upon the pushrods in a vertical motion which acts on the rocker arms as a fulcrum that then acts on the valves to open and close them at the appropriate time. In that they are the same, however they are different grinds and provide different results just like a stock cam is different yet.

That being said both are good both have strong points, I don't see one as better than the other I see one filling one side of a market and the other doing the same for another side.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought he was getting a website up and running. What happened to that, Russ? I've been looking to see it for over a year.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I gathered doing my research: The R&D cam is more appropriate for higher RPMs and the Type 4 is for lower RPMs.

Someone wiser than I can confirm this or correct me.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Well I know typ4 turbo mods help build more boost at lower RPM's, so maybe he targets the low RPM range in his mods

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I gathered doing my research: The R&D cam is more appropriate for higher RPMs and the Type 4 is for lower RPMs.

Someone wiser than I can confirm this or correct me.

confirmed.Russ's grind is far superior tow/rv type cam.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The cam Russ is responsible for bringing to this forum was first designed to help the guys in the logging industry when the idi first came out. Its a great cam in na or turbo application. Its a bottom end type cam and its a regrind off whats we have running stock in our engines now. Now the cam Justin at R&D has is a different cam in that it bleeds off compression to allows more boost possible and a higher revving engine.. So it has a longer valve overlap. Overlap means both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Hope this clears up some questions. To gt the most out of the R&D cam you really need to use the higher governor spring from the chevy idi pumps. I believe its a 4400 rpm spring.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had direct experience with either cam, but I know people who have driven Russ's truck and were quite impressed...and, having had the honor of meeting Russ on a few occasions as well as dealing with him countless times on here, I know what kind of guy he is and I know that he does amazing work and will stand behind anything and everything he does. :)

Last edited:

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A typ4 cam is the one the member here by the name of typ4 sells. His name is Russ, PM him here and he will respond in time.

This IS the website.

Yes it does the same thing as an R n D cam...it causes the lifters to act upon the pushrods in a vertical motion which acts on the rocker arms as a fulcrum that then acts on the valves to open and close them at the appropriate time. In that they are the same, however they are different grinds and provide different results just like a stock cam is different yet.

That being said both are good both have strong points, I don't see one as better than the other I see one filling one side of a market and the other doing the same for another side.

i tried to find they typ4 sells (Russ) but couldnt seem to find him not sure why

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he was getting a website up and running. What happened to that, Russ? I've been looking to see it for over a year.

Im working on it but work is soooo busy, I wish I could just do IDI business but alas a real job pays all the bills AND allows me to spend some wages on more IDI ideas.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Camshaft

Okay! yes all cams are different. Every gear head has to decide what they want. My engine is built and running, so basically a 7.3 IDIT engine 21.1.5:1 compression and a history of eating pistons, for now we are good 25,000+ miles and still working daily, plugged in right now, really cold here 50F :rotflmao

If I wanted a cam, from what I hear I would want the TYPE4 cam.

My truck is air2air Ebay Style cooled, 3 inch charge pipes, Banks Sidewinder, I can see over 15psi easy
but prefer to keep it around 12 and lower when working it hard, half throttle usually all that is needed
all day. Plenty of power now.

So the lower power boost would help out in my case, I also have a lower stall
torque conv that grabs around 1300 rpm, made a huge improvement to the
whole truck. the Sidewinder Turbo is a waste above 13/14 psi seems like.
I should probably readjust the wastegate to limit psi, might improve response some.

Pulling is what I want, boosting low end power in the IDI makes the IDI
a more efficient engine that was built to be efficient and still is.

Funny how good the IDI intake port flows best around .400 valve lift.

both cams are limited on allowable lift, but for good reason, not needed, the port flow
is maxed already, So tailoring the cam lift between in/ex helps tune the engine for the use
intended.
now my question is, the timing events on all the cams available.
The rocker arm ratio of our engines
and some flow specs on IDI in/ex ports
That I would like to see all on one page. :love:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cam Russ is responsible for bringing to this forum was first designed to help the guys in the logging industry when the idi first came out. Its a great cam in na or turbo application. Its a bottom end type cam and its a regrind off whats we have running stock in our engines now. Now the cam Justin at R&D has is a different cam in that it bleeds off compression to allows more boost possible and a higher revving engine.. So it has a longer valve overlap. Overlap means both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Hope this clears up some questions. To gt the most out of the R&D cam you really need to use the higher governor spring from the chevy idi pumps. I believe its a 4400 rpm spring.

The R&D Stage one is actually quite similar to the Typ4 cam in where the power range is. It does bleed off a slight amount of dynamic compression though. I do believe when you guys are referring to it as a higher rpm cam that you are referring to the J2 cam. The J2 cam is the cam that bleeds off a lot of compression and also moves the power band higher. Justin has run both cams with good numbers. NMB2 has also run the J2 as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin