Two aux Trans coolers vs Factory Trans Cooler?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I am not the e4od guru, but isnt the cooler line coming back into the trans typically the feed line for the lube circuit?
If the inline filter plugs does the lube circuit get starved of oil?

Yes. Technically both cooler lines are part of the lube circuit. This is why the 4R100 is equipped with a pressure bypass. If the cooler or line get plugged or to restrictive. The bypass will open preventing low lube failure.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Technically both cooler lines are part of the lube circuit. This is why the 4R100 is equipped with a pressure bypass. If the cooler or line get plugged or to restrictive. The bypass will open preventing low lube failure.

;Sweet

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 11

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above retro fit is a darn good idea if it's not already done. The inline filter with the magnet in it is available from Ford ($19) they last for one fluid change, 30,000 miles. They are designed for max oil flow for the lube system. You want all the flow you can get. They can be installed in the to cooler line or return line, if a trans. is/has been rebuilt, the return line is the should be used. That way the radiator cooler, if flushed, can be used along with an Aux. cooler for towing.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can add the 4R100 bypass to any E4OD. You can get it new from Ford. Another option for the junkyard hunters is used. You can buy a rebuild kit from Sonnax. This will save you some coin. :D
While you're doing this mod, complete it with new 3/8" cooler lines. :thumbsup:

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a inline unit just installed by the indie with magnet but wanted him to swap out with a B&M unit with a spin on filter in the return line so that I can cut open to examine after five thousand miles or so - My factory cooler was flushed and not used - I am going to go ahead and use a filter on the return line and not worry about the factory cooler with any potential debris as I am certain a filter would catch it all. Do I have to worry about flow at all with a filter installed?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I have to worry about flow at all with a filter installed?

Yes. Just watch the tranny temp. Flow flow flow is the name of the game on an automatic. The return flow from the cooler not only lubes the bearings, but most important is the cooling effect. Example: If the tranny temp is running at 220* and the rad temp at 180* that 180* oil is what the bearings get, considering you use the radiator cooler, if an aux cooler is in series with it, then the temp will be a little lower. The oil to the cooler is directly from the torque converter, which is a lot higher temp than what is in the tranny pan.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can add the 4R100 bypass to any E4OD. You can get it new from Ford. Another option for the junkyard hunters is used.
A quick note here, a '97 E4OD bypass assembly does not have the sealing washers on the "from cooler" banjo bolt. No idea why that is, but I got two of them things and neither has seals there. So they will have yo be added when it's time for install, not a big deal, but worth mentioning if someone is about to pull a junkyard raid for such an assembly.

As for the inline filters, the spin-on heads that use small-block Ford oil filters (FL1A) present no risk as said filters have built-in bypass. Plus they are ridiculously large to begin with, and cheap enough to where you can toss a new one on at every oil change.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, so it sounds like this type of filter setup allows for full flow and if filter becomes clogged enough, the built in bypass will allow fluid to keep traveling through the lube circuit, thanks!

A quick note here, a '97 E4OD bypass assembly does not have the sealing washers on the "from cooler" banjo bolt. No idea why that is, but I got two of them things and neither has seals there. So they will have yo be added when it's time for install, not a big deal, but worth mentioning if someone is about to pull a junkyard raid for such an assembly.

As for the inline filters, the spin-on heads that use small-block Ford oil filters (FL1A) present no risk as said filters have built-in bypass. Plus they are ridiculously large to begin with, and cheap enough to where you can toss a new one on at every oil change.