Two aux Trans coolers vs Factory Trans Cooler?

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my trans replaced finally and I thought I had an understanding with my indie to use the factory trans cooler plus an aux cooler after a thorough cleaning of the factory trans cooler. What he did was bypass my factory cooler and install a tiny (7x9) auxillary cooler. He explained that would not use my factory cooler even after cleaning as there could still be some junk in the cooler which I understand but he wants to install a new radiator/trans cooler to the tune of 600.00 plus dollars! I know liquid
to air is more efficient but any reason why I cannot use two aux coolers with a thermal valve to my advantage? I am going to have him replace the tiny little aux cooler he installed as it will never do the right job regardless. Any thoughts on this? My radiator is in excellent shape btw., I am half tempted to have him clean it again and use the pressurized stuff in a bottle that attaches to trans cooler ports and reflush again to be doubly safe and then hook up factory trans cooler and not worry about it - bad idea? I have a hard time believing that this flushing method that uses a powerful solvent plus pressure does not work effectively - Any real life experience out there with this type of product? Cheaper than 600.00 bucks!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use 2 coolers don't put them in series. Put in a "t" and split the cooling between the 2 coolers then another "t" after them. This slows the fluid down and improves heat transfer

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why not plumb in a quality spin on filter into the return line and then reconnect the radiator cooler back in and you should catch all the debris in the new canister filter...

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the spin on filter...both B&M and Hughes (I believe if still in business) offer nice kits. If I was by-passing the radiator completely I would sure consider using the thermostat system as well. The other option might be to haul the radiator out and have it tanked. (That creates a whole list of other possible issues if the rad isn't 100% going in) I can see the tranny builders concern with using the rad cooler, I would avoid it as well. With the spin on system though you should be fine.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what happened to your old trans?

And no two aux coolers only will not work.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old trans lost all transmission of power to wheels, no debris in pan, no catastrophioc noise, - it had 160,000 - I remain curious as it had zero movement in any gear. I think I am going to have indie pull his installed trans filter, add a quality spin on filter so I can use factory trans cooler, pull the tiny aux cooler, install a larger aux cooler with a thermal valve that will open up when trans gets too hot. I will be towing horses, etc. from time to time. Anyone take issue with this fix?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old trans lost all transmission of power to wheels, no debris in pan, no catastrophioc noise, - it had 160,000 - I remain curious as it had zero movement in any gear. I think I am going to have indie pull his installed trans filter, add a quality spin on filter so I can use factory trans cooler, pull the tiny aux cooler, install a larger aux cooler with a thermal valve that will open up when trans gets too hot. I will be towing horses, etc. from time to time. Anyone take issue with this fix?

Overall sounds like a great plan OTHER than the removal of the internal filter/pickup. Leave it in place and don't remove it would be my best suggestion to you.

JM2CW

Al

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, keeping the stock filter naturally, I was talking about pulling the external filter he added and upgrading to a spin on type -thanks for your thoughts

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hook up the stock in radiator cooler add a aux cooler hook it up and drive it.
Absolutely no need for a thermal valve.
No over engineering needed.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Thats what I did to mine, I still run the stock cooler in the rad, but I added an external plate style cooler.
I didnt get a fancy spin on filter, I went with an inline magnet/paper filter. I like the idea of the magnet in the filter, as it will catch the fine metal shavings that may get past the paper filters.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
No, keeping the stock filter naturally, I was talking about pulling the external filter he added and upgrading to a spin on type -thanks for your thoughts

I am not the e4od guru, but isnt the cooler line coming back into the trans typically the feed line for the lube circuit?
If the inline filter plugs does the lube circuit get starved of oil?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your transmission plugs up an auxiliary transmission filter the size of a ph8a oil filter your transmission is already doomed

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! I feel confident that as long as we do a good flush of the factory trans cooler circuit, I am not going to worry about it - I will most likely add a spin on cartridge and after five thousand miles, change it but will cut it open to examine the filter for debris . . I am guessing that I am not going to find much . . . .

If your transmission plugs up an auxiliary transmission filter the size of a ph8a oil filter your transmission is already doomed