Turn Signal/Brake issue

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn Signal/Brake issue (Fixed)

When I got the truck the driver side front turn signal didn't work but both brake lights did and so did the passenger side turn signals front/rear as well as the rear drivers side turn signal. I start with checking the bulb. No dice, checked the contacts in the socket for voltage. Nothing (Should have probed for power further back but didn't) so I ordered a new socket. Installed the socket today and still nothing. Check the lines and no voltage. Started looking at the rear and now I have nothing on the drivers side. No brake, turn, or hazard lights. When I turn on the drivers side turn signal I get no light on the dash and no clicking sound. I do get a clicking sound and dash light for passenger side. The hazards also work on the passenger side. I researched through some old threads and seems like the problem lies with the turn signal switch. Am I on the right track? I thought I read about checking for power leaving the turn signal switch right on the switch. Is there an easy way to do this? If I have to tear the column apart I might as well just change the switch.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
My dad had a what sounds like a similar problem w/ his '96 crown vic. he took it to the dealership and it turns out the turn signal lever swich was bad. they put a new one in and every thing worked.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the turn signal switch and all was good. Found a broken wire in the harness of the old switch. The light green/white wire broke inside the connector.

David94IDIT

Reaction score
Where did you get the switch? A junk yard? Ordered online? My turn signals have been starting to not work. I would have to hold the turn signal and hold pressure on it to stay. Now they don't work at all. Mine also hase the windshield wiper delay built into it and that would only work on low and high.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... That was a fast easy fix... Glad its working properly again... I don't know much about electrical issues but enjoy learning...:D

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the switch? A junk yard? Ordered online? My turn signals have been starting to not work. I would have to hold the turn signal and hold pressure on it to stay. Now they don't work at all. Mine also hase the windshield wiper delay built into it and that would only work on low and high.

By dumb luck advance had a switch for a tilt wheel in stock. Cost like $56 then they had a $10 off coupon thing going on. Changing the switch was a whole lot less work then I had anticipated. Start to finish was like 45 minutes and some of that was hunting my steering wheel puller. From reading other users posts and other forums I was expecting a 2 -3 hour job.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yup seems 90% of odd brake and signal problems seem to come from the switch in the column. i also recommend springing for a better one like from NAPA or Ford even. the autozone and advanced auto ones don't seem to last long.

unfortunately i have had to pull the cheaper ones out in less than a year more than once.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll keep the fingers crossed this one holds out atleast a little while. Might help that the truck is not a daily driver. More like a saturday lowes runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online