turbo ?

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when going down the road today at 70mph i started to hear a screeching sound when i let off the pedal and slowed to 63mph it quit. i couldnt tell if it was coming from trans or under hood. have 5spd w/luk smf. i think its coming from turbo because last month employee said that when changing filter he put black foam pad on wrong side of air filter and sucked it into turbo!! coud this have damaged turbo? :confused:

pwrdbyidi

Reaction score
That is a very distinct possibility... Have you removed the air filter housing to check out the compressor blades? Did the foam reach the intake manifold?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes anything getting sucked through the turbo will damage it. I've seen air filter pieces destroy a turbo when I worked for Ford.
I'd take off the air box and inspect inside the turbo and make sure it spins freely.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
when going down the road today at 70mph i started to hear a screeching sound when i let off the pedal and slowed to 63mph it quit. i couldnt tell if it was coming from trans or under hood. have 5spd w/luk smf. i think its coming from turbo because last month employee said that when changing filter he put black foam pad on wrong side of air filter and sucked it into turbo!! coud this have damaged turbo? :confused:

If something got sucked into the blades, yes it is probably damaged. Been there, done that-cuss , got the $375.00 bill:eek: to replace the whole "center section", and got the terrible backache while replacing it.cookoo Okiegringo