turbo upgrade

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
looking for real world advise for an upgraded turbo for my modded 97 6.5, running 18:1 mahle pistons, ss marine injectors, ss upgraded heads, arp studs, lower end main girdle, #9 resistor, and an inter cooler, in the process of the build right now and I'm leaning towards a hx 35 or 40 off a Cummings....any thoughts? I'm upgrading the computer as well......haven't decided if I'm gonna use ss or heath on that one yet.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I thought these were quarter mile. They are so heavily modified I laugh everytime I sit on it. These use pro-fuel, nitrous, list goes on.

On the turbos, I think you could run the hx's effeintly since you have lowered the comp. I am really dont know a lot about the chebby's

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Depending on the model in which you go with the HX 35 would be plenty for the GM diesel. I think the HX 40 would be more than you could use. There is an opinion for you, I could get a little more detailed if you like....

Good Luck.

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
We are running mods similar to yours, 5cap girdle, 18:1, Arp, Cometic gaskets, crossover cooling, intercooled, water/**** injection, etc.... we are running the Holset VGT351ve, at 20 psi boost. We chose this because of smoother ramping and intergrated exhaust brake....

We have her in a C-5000 dump truck.....LOL.

There is a stand alone electronic controller for this turbo now.... we run ours manual....

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another thought: check in to the A Team turbo (ATT) over on the Truck Stop. Well thought out setup, extensively tested and it bolts right up.

Here's some of the discussion on the development of the turbo itself:
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2015

Here's info from the seller:
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=12471&highlight=Team+turbo

These threads talk about the install:
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=13756&highlight=Team+turbo

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6315&highlight=Team+turbo

Usual disclaimers - I'm not related to these guys, I don't make any money of this product. BUT, I do trust the folks involved - they've built a solid reputation on several 6.5 webpages. And I AM saving my $$ for one!

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
sweet.....very much considering the A-team setup and maybe even the tune on my puter!! gonna do a little reading, planning on gettin my truck fired up real soon!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running a Banks WG stolen from a 6.9/7.3 IDI motor on the 6.5.
the damn thing lights off instantly to 10psi. biggest mod is running the exhaust outside the frame on the '83. the truck is a std cab light 3/4t, factory turbo 6.5 motor, thm700 trans, 3.23 semi float rear.
It will leave my '92 CC dually standing still at a light.

Attachments

• SL376398.JPG
    SL376398.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SL376709.JPG
    SL376709.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 9

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's the reason why I haven't spoken much in the thread until now.
all my turbo 6.5's are non-computerized;Sweet

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
thats another topic I'm looking for advise on, If I want the most power I can get outta my 6.5 with all my other mods, whats the best I.P.? I was gonna keep runnin my original, but wondered if I should go with the mechanical? can I get all the fuel I want with mine and juice it up with the #9 and the marine injectors with a modded puter, or! Instead go with a mechanical one and turn it all the way up? thinking of the cost comparison also, but it really don't matter cause I plan on keeping my truck forever!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7