Turbo reassembled Not good

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I very carefully, I thought, measured everything and double and triple checked every last detail about the new bushings and the shaft for fiment. All my specs were within what was expressed by Russ (type4) and so I went ahead and reassembled the turbo. I installed the new compressor wheel and then put the housing on. No discernable end play, that's good. Very little side to side movement, much less than the turbo on my car for example, but guess what? The new compressor wheel will touch the compressor housing when pushed to one side. It is a really tight fit. Spins freely and no wobble but that doesn't change the fact that the compressor wheel can touch the housing.

EDIT: I noticed that it seems one side of the compressor housing is closer to the compressor wheel ie... it's off center. I guess I'll have to have a crack at centering it before I freak out. This is also the only spot the wheel can touch. But man it's still a super close fit. Too close IMO. Perhaps I should hone the compressor housing out a little. But as said before there really isn't much play in the shaft/bushings.

I am aware that oil helps center these things but I am not confident that it will make this thing safe to run.

Now what?

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I dont know, but if you can try to get the housing on there nice and straight. Otherwise just hone the housing a little bit like you said.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor side should be close, now when it spins up and the bearings are being oiled the wheel will probably not touch as the bearings will float in oil.

This is my take on turbos.

Jim

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor side should be close, now when it spins up and the bearings are being oiled the wheel will probably not touch as the bearings will float in oil.

This is my take on turbos.

Jim

I have been having this same thought but I am not convinced. I sure wish I had all of my tools available to me. Sucks having them in 2 places. It would be much easier to make a decision with a dial indicator to check the centering of the housing and backing plate.

I could just let it clearance itself but that's not what I do. It needs to be right.

Shaft OD is .3995 and bushing ID is .4005. I am not remembering the bushing OD and housing ID at the moment but I remember it was .0025 difference. Just don't want to ruin anything.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my turbo, used, mine did the same. I decided to put it on anyways and see what happens. When I started my truck and still nothing has happened.

Jim

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the turbo I am putting in my van and had about the same result, probably didn't need rebuild, the bushings measured within .0001 old to new and the housing had no signs of wear. But the kit was not much and now I have peace of mind (and a cleaner turbo, for now). Before rebuild the compressor would just brush the housing in 1 spot when I pushed it to the side, no sign of ever contacting, now it is about the same.
JwS

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions on the issue I have. It gives me a little peace of mind. I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Russ should be able to give you the best and safest advice about turbos over anyone else here that I know of. I'd pm him and find out what he says.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online