Turbo Play?

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I searched and I didn't find what I was looking for. I am Powerstroke and Ford IDI guy so this Dodge is new to me and I am just checking. The truck in question is a 91 Cummins non-intercooled reg cab long box 4x4 with a 5 speed and 150,*** miles on it. This is my girlfriends truck. I have just done a ton of work, redone cooling system new injection pump brakes, starter, ect. The truck runs great and sounds good with no strange sounds. The other day while the intake tube was off I grabbed the turbo shaft and all I can say is holy crap. Now I know on the Fords there is supposed to be no play in and out and only a slight amount side to side, this truck has between 3/16 and 1/4 play in and out and a little under 3/16 side to side. The turbo sounds good with no whine or whooo noise and boost is fine. SO is this normal for a dodge or should i be worried about the turbo wheel exploding and destroying the engine when the pieces get sucked into the motor

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just like any other turbo. it's going to have some play. bad occurs when the blades hit the housing when you check for side and end play. If it isn't hitting, you don't have a problem.