turbo install writeups on IDI engines?

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some searching, found the hypermax turbo write-up in the tech section, but am still unclear on what all is needed when purchasing a used kit from ebay or craigslist and adapting it to the IDI.

So... I have a '90 IDI with an E40D. from what I understand, the ZF kits won't swap over because of the location of the pipes interference with the tranny. So if I get a kit, say, from a '94 that had the factory turbo and it has most/all of the hard parts, is that all I really need? Do I need to make any changes to the fuel pump and injectors or to the transmission?

does anyone have any links to writeups from people who installed used banks or ATS systems on their IDIs? I was able to find links to aftermarket ATS install instructions which will help a lot. Just making sure if I buy a used kit, I can figure out if I have everything for the price I pay or if it's an entry in to an expensive endeavor.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the name. I found him on another forum so posted a request(if that's him) for the instructions.

anyone else know of a write-up for installing used kits on their IDIs?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its only the hypermax and early banks kits that are tranny specific. I had an ats 085 kit that was on a 4 speed, it was on my 5 and was later put on a e40d without any problems.

Usually with an auto tranny you have to have a different oil dip stick. Also on the early banks kits the up pipe was on the drivers side for auto tranny's and the passenger side on the manual ones.

When it comes to the new banks kit and the stock 93/94 kit, it looks as if they will bolt up to any stock tranny combo becuase the turbo sets on and is pretty much supported by the up pipe where the older kits bolt to the passenger head to support the turbo.

There are a few other minor differences but I cant remember specifics at the moment.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to a semi-write-up I did on a motor swap and throwing on a non-wastegated turbo I recently completed. Not big on instructions, but it shows you some of the custom things I had to make that didn't come with my used kit, namely the CDR block-off plate, the fuel supply line and bracket, and the glow plug solenoid relocation bracket.
http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?p=54691#post54691

Ask any questions, good luck!

MoMo