turbo build parts ****

wmoguy

Reaction score
You've got a twin scroll turbo but not building a twin scroll'd manifold? :dunno

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no couldnt find the plate in standard steel im going to make my own filler plate for it

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I think you will be really really surprised how bad those manifolds leak. Making a air tight weld with a MIG or stick welder is no easy task. I am a pretty good MIG welder, and i HATE welding bead-locks because of all the testing/fixing to fix all the super small holes!! Keep in mind most holes you cannot even see, I have to use penetrating oil to find them.

Also you say that you got good penetration, but it doesn't look like it was prepped properly, which means you didn't get good penetration. With how much that thing is going to shake, I don't think its going to hold up very long.

I am by no means a pro welder, but I was just an apprentice for a few years.

Not trying to be a ****, just dropping off my $.02

PZ

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
if something happens and your manifold/turbo mount doesnt hold up or seal, which IMO wont, get ahold of NMB2, he said he would build you one for $250.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well anyone got recomendations for sealing this one up maybe a coating thatll prevent leaks etc. my buddy has had worse welds on weld el manifolds for hondas that didnt leak so thats why i want too worried about it

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That really isn't bad for price, around the same ballpark as an el cheapo set of gasser headers, for, what from seeing his work should be a good quality piece. To me that $250 would be a whole lot cheaper than the headache of building the things myself if I didn't have a tig handy.

Definitely go v-band, it is by far the best option for sealing on the exhaust.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
That really isn't bad for price, around the same ballpark as an el cheapo set of gasser headers, for, what from seeing his work should be a good quality piece. To me that $250 would be a whole lot cheaper than the headache of building the things myself if I didn't have a tig handy.

Definitely go v-band, it is by far the best option for sealing on the exhaust.

thats what im thinking. itll be alot less headache to go ahead and shell out the $250, which is really cheap IMO, then to fight with yours not sealing up later down the road

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is, I've seen Justin's work and it's really high quality stuff. I know you wouldn't be disappointed with it.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try and salvage that header by TIG welding all of the blemishes.

But it looks like there is a lot of contamination. Once dirt, paint, oil, or whatever get's in there it's damn-near impossible to get back out. Then you've got pinholes and cavities all over the place.

I seriously doubt that any coating that is strong enough to seal that up is going to last very long on a header.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a second look, I would probably toss that header and start over. Prep work it a PITA, but it is especially critical on something that is going to be subject to so much trauma.

Clean everything REALLY good (seriously take a wire wheel to it), bevel all of your joints. You should use a TIG, but the MIG will work in a pinch. Don't even look at the stick welder (or a flux core wire-feed). If you don't have enough amperage just make some nice bevels and make multiple passes.

In the few welds clearly visible the penetration is lousy. Chalk it up to a learning experience, and build yourself a better one. You will be much happier than if you install that one and it leaks like an SOB until it cracks apart in 200 miles.

Last edited: