86 F250 6.9L remote mount turbo and truck build...

CAnders13247

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, but am on a couple other offroad/4x4/jeep forums, same username.

Little background on me? Sure. I am a mobile truck and trailer mechanic in the Thumb area of Michigan. I work on da*n near anything, really. Also have my own custom/offroad/fab shop. I am 21, on truck number... 71? I think... I do all older trucks and jeeps do my own machining, welding, wrenching. If anyone needs anything, let me know! I am happy to help and if I can't i usually know someone who can..

Anyways..

Here is why I am making this thread. I recently picked up an 86 F250 XLT Lariat, extended cab long bed 2wd for very cheap. Has 111k miles. 6.9 IH engine with a C6 trans. It runs and drives beautifully and only needed fairly minor repairs. I LOVE this truck. It has decent pickup and tows fairly well. But it is missing something... Turbo whistle!! So I am going to fix that...

Here's the plan..

Phase 1: The turbo

run the exhaust up into my bed, mount a turbo, come up with an oiling system, pipe the boost back up into the engine. I am going to post daily on my progress and do a decent write-up on parts used, where i got them, costs, etc.

Phase 2: Dually conversion

Get dually fenders, axle, wheels and tires

Phase 3: Lower it!

going to be doing a 3/5 Drop on the truck

Phase 4: Air bags and towing stuff

Do an engine mounted air pump, air system, air bags, etc. Anything to make it tow my 26 foot car hauler.

I also will be uploading videos to my YouTube channel, and hopefully taking many pictures. Any questions or anything, feel free to reply or PM me!

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was talk of a bed mounted turbo on the IDI facebook page.

I don't think mounting a turbo there would really be all that efficient for towing.

CAnders13247

Reaction score
If all my planning works.. It should work great. All depends on how you do it. All about keeping potential energy in the exhaust gasses. But we'll see, I have been wrong before.

CAnders13247

Reaction score
Part 1 on youtube.. Ran the exhaust up through the bed. I used 3" exhaust tubing purchased from Oreillys, a stainless flange from Ebay and some misc piece of metal I had around the shop to make hangers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Not bad for being out of practice with the squirt gun!

You must be registered for see images

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to all the effort to make your custom turbo mount, get some head studs in that motor!
6.9s are a bit weak that way - 7/16" bolts vs the 1/2" bolts in the 7.3s

Once you've got it studded, get the IP cranked up and see how she does.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2. If you have plans to boost over 12-15 psi head studs are a really good idea especially on a 6.9. I thought long and hard about doing a remote turbo but chickened out in the end. I had enough fab work to do. [emoji15]

Welcome and good luck!

CAnders13247

Reaction score
Ahead of you there. I have . Freshly machined block and rotating assembly ready to go together. I machined the block and tapped for 1/2"* studs. Gotta figure out the heads now. :)

For now I'm throwing it on for proof of concept. Once i know it works, And i get my powerstroke on the road, itll get the new engine and see, hopefully, 20lbs.

Last edited:

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shades of STS, or what was once Squires Turbo Systems. Remote mounted turbos are not new and they do work well if matched properly. I will enjoy watching you do this task.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrestled with this idea for a while too. Even daydreamed about a VGT setup. Really interested to see how this turns out.

CAnders13247

Reaction score
I do believe I have it planned out to where it'll work well. Hopefully. On a side note, I got the Powerjoke running! Its an 02 with 395k. Got it running pretty good. Just need calipers on that.

Anywho..

Will have more info and hopefully a turbo 6.9 this weekend!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I machined the block and tapped for 1/2"* studs.
Pictures, please!
I want some information on /how/ you set it up and did it - you are currently the first person to have done it successfully I believe.
Justin @ R&D tried, but ran into issues keeping the holes straight.
I've always said it should be possible and not too hard... but you may have been the first to actually do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01