turbo and trans case questions

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just bought an 89 f-250 with a 91 7.3 motor. My first question is can i put on a hyper max turbo that is sitting on an 84 6.9. I think I can buy this turbo cheap. looking for opinions. Also I need a transfer case. The broter in law has a case from an 89 with a 5 spd. this truck is a c-6. Will it work

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The hypermax should work just fine. Now on the tc one of the experts should clarify that momentarily.

sassyrel

Reaction score
transfer case should bolt right on--even if case no's aint the same---id be checking if that 7.3 has had the sc's checked--or you may be getting a pig in a poke----you really dont need a cavitated block--

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you need to keep up the SCA levels in the coolant. The Hypermax will work just fine for a 7.3. They are the same for the 6.9 application as the 7.3. Just check it and make sure it doesn't have excessive play.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
SCA's are a diesel coolant additive that keeps the 7.3 idi from cavitating. If it hasnt had any in it, then there is a chance that one or more of the cylinders is cavitated.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SCA means "Supplemental Coolant Additive" and are used as preventative measure to prevent cavitation, (AKA the feared big "C"), corrosion and the formation of deposits in the cooling system.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the previous owner used napa cool. dont know bout the motors first owner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes