tuning up an idi

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a 92 idi non turbo and if you rev on it it spits blue/white looking smoke he asked me what the problem was cause a mechanic had told him timing. I thought it was injectors that causes this, but his truck doesn't have the psd rattle to it at high idle. What would you think the verdict is, injectors, timing, both maybe? injectors are at least 150,000 miles old

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I think you should be sniffing exhaust fumes or anything.........but, what does the smoke smell like?? Blue/white smoke always makes me think of oil first. If it stinks like burning oil, he may have bigger issues on his hands than injectors or timing.

Heath

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I think you should be sniffing exhaust fumes or anything.........but, what does the smoke smell like?? Blue/white smoke always makes me think of oil first. If it stinks like burning oil, he may have bigger issues on his hands than injectors or timing.

That only works if he isnt intentionally burning oil. :)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That only works if he isnt intentionally burning oil. :)

Lmao, true true, like one of my buddies with his 6.2 ex-army Chevy - maaan, I think I'm burning oil, at least my exhaust smells like oil - you goofball, ain't it WMO what you got in that left tank, what do ya expect it to smell like, roses? :rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd want to rule out a bad valve as this is a relatively common problem on these engines in the 150-200K mile range. Otherwise I'd call it timing or injectors, or maybe even the pump.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
It does smell like oil, but not real strong it smells more like a truck that is running lean on diesel, got that make you cough smell to it, but it only does it if you lay into it sitting still from idle, if you hold rpms high up for a sec it will keep spittin it and then stop

tractorman86

Reaction score
i would set the timing first, IMHO kinda sounds like unburnt fuel. if that does nothing then look at injectors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote is injectors. Timing generally will not cause blue smoke. The pic of the Moose Truck in my avatar was taken when it had 3 leaky injectors in it. What happens is when they leak, fuel gets in the combustion chamber at virtually any time during one of the 4 cycles, and if it drips in during an exhaust stroke, what you see is what you get.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin