Trying to figure out what axle I have.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went to get some wheel seals for my pickup told them it was the danna 50 and they said I have to buy a rebuild kit?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are expensive for a reason ;) .

So are a lot of fine wines,caviar,houses in Beverly Hills,yachts and super cars.

This alone doesn't mean beer,sardines,a cabin in the woods,a kayak and an old idi truck are not good enough.:D

The vast amount of F250 owners who do not do major off roading,commercial snow plowing or install lifts and big tires,simply won't see the major benefits the D60 has over the D50.This isn't to say the D60 isn't the better axle,it's that in a lot of cases,it would just simply be better money spent (or better still,invested) elsewhere is all.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I went back down there and got the wheel seals and got into an argument with the guy about it. He told me you can't repack wheel bearings and that they should be replaced. Then decided to tell me about how I need to replace my hub because it would fail right after this. Then proceeded with the need to tell me about how I needed to learn how to be a mechanic..... with that being said I've been a mechanic for the last two years. So I guess you don't trust people from autozone correct? Lol

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with it not being a necessity for everyone. However, in a side by side comparison, the d60 wins hands down. The only place the ttb/ifs shines is with pre-runner/ jumping applications . IMO. I would honestly take an 8 lug d44 over a ttb50 any day.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright so I went back down there and got the wheel seals and got into an argument with the guy about it. He told me you can't repack wheel bearings and that they should be replaced. Then decided to tell me about how I need to replace my hub because it would fail right after this. Then proceeded with the need to tell me about how I needed to learn how to be a mechanic..... with that being said I've been a mechanic for the last two years. So I guess you don't trust people from autozone correct? Lol
play along with them. tell them you want a hub assy for your truck :D
let the fun begin :D

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess you don't trust people from autozone correct? Lol
I trust them to be able to (barely) use their system to find parts, and be reasonably cheap(for a local parts store).
It's even better if you simply look it up on autozone's website, and bring in the part numbers.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ALWAYS bring in part numbers. Can't trust them to get you the right parts, especially since I live out of town.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the TTB is a joke on leaf springs, how much twist do you think you can get out of a tapered leaf spring. this is basically what the Dana 50 does when suspension is moving up/down.

the beams are short on the leaf TTB. just put an older F150 with coil TTB and an F250 TTB 44 or 50 and try it. leafs were meant to be under solid axle!

I bought a brand new 96 F250 loaded truck and the only problem the truck had was the horrible handling of the 50 TTB on the road! no amount of alignment and adjustments coudl keep tires on it or make it go straight down the road. looking back I wish I would have put a solid axle in it and the rear blocks and kept the truck. I just couldn't bear to tear it apart while it was under warranty.

look for the parts guy who can still read a paper catalogue , he will find you the right stuff. my local parts guy , now co/owner of the local Napa store has been in the business since 1986. I just ask for him when I call for parts, he even knows the outside sources for my older vehicles when Napa doesn't show anything available.

if you have a Dana 50 and you aren't fussy on pavement handling stick with it, their strong point is the external full snap rings on the Ujoints. they will take a lot of abuse if kept greased, stronger in my opinion than the dana 60 internal Cclip for shock loads like plowing or offroading. very limited articulation is a limitation.