TRUCK WOULDN'T START THIS MORNING

JEEPSPEEDPULER

Reaction score
i went out to my 93 f-350 7.3 turbo and it would not start its getting fuel and just keeps cranking full tank of fuel i drive the truck everyday and i it never acts up at all any idea of what it could be?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Could be...

1) non-functioning glow plugs
2) clogged fuel filter
3) failed lift pump
4) faild IP

How long does the wait to start light stay lit up? I know that my truck WILL not start EVER without working GP's.

Try removing the fuel filter and see if there's fuel in there. if its empty, or half empty chances are you've got either an air leak or a failed lift pump.

If you fill the filter up with good diesel or ATF, try cranking it with the schrader valve pushed in to see if fuel comes out...

Also, weak batteries could cause it to be slow rolling on start up. These engines have to haul balls to get off and running...

JEEPSPEEDPULER

Reaction score
my wait to start light didnt come on this morning but i not even a month ago i just put brand new injectors glow plugs and glow plug controller on the truck i really couldnt see one of thos going out already but who knows its something to look into for sure and there was fuel at the filter that was the first thing i checked. and could the ip just fail that fast it has been running fine at least to my knowledge. and im not sure what the lift pump is? thanks

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
The lift pump is the fuel pump that we replaced a short while back... I can't believe your WTS light didn't come on, that controller is brand spanking new.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
No WTS light means glow plug/controller troubles.

Check the connections and fuse links to the controller (I think on a turbo setup it is the electrical box mounted on top of the pass. side valve cover.)

I know that neither of my trucks would even think about starting cold without glow plugs, and I am way to scared to give them a snort of starting fluid.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
There is also a harness connector between the engine and the passenger side wheel well, bunch of fat wires in there, and corrosion could have consumed a few or more connection points, that's happened to others on here. :dunno

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine wirled but wouldn't start today too. I jump started it with one of the tractors and it ran fine. Passenger bat. was dead and alt. was failing. No warning on these failing. You may want to try boosting it if you can.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pull apart the engine wire harness plug and look at the two yellow wires that feed the relay. If they have melted the plug at all just bypass the plug. Get some 4 gauge speaker wire from a sterio shop with some large crimp lugs. Run it direct from the fender solenoid to the glow plug relay. No just remove the oem two wire setup by cutting it loose close to the harness. Thats all there is to it. Now if you need to remove the motor you will need to remove this jumper wire because it bypass's the wireing harness plug... Mine burned up one morning. Truck started up and I saw a big puff of smoke escaping from the starter side of the hood....:eek: Thought I had just let all the smoke out of my starter... Nope... Got the hood open fast enough to still see smoke wifting off the hot melted plug.... Really ann easy repair...:sly

JEEPSPEEDPULER

Reaction score
well thanks for all the help but i found i blew a fuse because i had a short on my high idle scencor unpluged it replaced the fuse and the truck started right up

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
I was really suprised we found the problem, I thought for a while there's no way I'm going to find this short. Thanks for the support.