Truck went down...

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
but she didn't stay down for long ;Sweet
it was a pure "OH ****" event - 70mph on the interstate, i first thought i felt her pulling a bit to the right. then i realized - 'i have no power steering. did i lose the vac pump?'

look down & find low volts - 'lost the F'n belt & tensioner again' - then i see the hot engine & low oil pressure...

i'm guessing 3-4 miles totalatworst, but i pulled her off the next exit ramp & popped the hood. oil EVERYWHERE! the pic doesn't show how much was on my ramair & pass fender, not to mention how muc was dripping from what's left of my hood blanket :rolleyes:

what i can't figure out is if i lost the belt because of the oil spewage (see pic 2) or did the oil spew after i lost the belt? looks like the belt was rubbing that hose a while :oops:
belt was not broken or even torn one bit that i could find. i thought i could wriggle the tensioner a bit, so i pulled the spare out of the toolbox :Sly (thing fails every 60k)

a nice walk to the chevy dealer :puke: down the street for 4' of 1/4" hose, 2 qts of oil (just in case), a few scraped knuckles & burned skin up and down both arms - i'm back on my way to work.

50 miles since then today w/ no issues.
think i should replace the belt? it's fairly new & looks good. i still need to get in ther & clean as well as i can :mad:

Attachments

• oilspill1.JPG
    oilspill1.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 34
  • oilspill2.JPG
    oilspill2.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 32

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give up....how did you get oil all over the place from a belt coming off? cookoo
If it was bleeding power steering fluid I can see that, coolant all over the place from over heating, but motor oil......you got me there....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like there's an oil line going into the oil filler cap, and that's what chafed open. Frank's sig says that he has an Amsoil bypass filter assembly; my guess is that the line going to the oil filler cap is the return from that.

That IS a weird situation...it looks like there's quite a hole worn into that hose, but if this had been happening over time, you would have caught it long before now. I honestly don't know...I would replace the hose, make sure it's nowhere near the belt, and probably then replace the belt just for good measure. You already took care of the tensioner...it might be worthwhile to check the other pulleys to make sure that they're happy.

Good to hear you were able to fix her quick enough to get to work! :) Did you get to work late, and if so, did you get yelled at? ;)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Damn son your gonna be cleaning for a while on that.

Yep I would be looking at adding some protection or rerouting that oil return line out of harms way.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i could see if it she was equipped with a slushbox,when the belt breaks it rips the tranny cooler lines off and causes a major mess. -cuss
but i agree with the warden on the amsoil deal,and argve about rerouting the line

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
:idiot: :drunk: :idiot: looks like i forgot to put that part back in when i was attempting to edit last night (thanks again, Whitmore ;Sweet . good to see you look out for us morons while the rest of the mods are asleep).

the Warden hit the nail on the head... the line that ruptured was coming from the old style Amsoil bypass filter on the pax fenderwell. that 1/4" hose is what i bought at Chebby to replace on site.

some of you may have noticed that my fan shroud is missing - that may have played a part, but i'm not conviced.

the best diagnosis i have come up with is that the idler failed, skipped the belt, & it jumped up & knocked the hose into the fan... inspecting after re-assembly, i just can't see how that oil hose could've come into this kind of contact with the belt (especially for any extended period of time), but a swift smack by the fan might've taken that chunk out. then over a mile or two slowly killed my oil pressure & raised my temp...
:confused: :confused:

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
argve said:
Damn son your gonna be cleaning for a while on that.
what do you recommend? i was thinking of taking the belt off next weekend & soaking everything i see in either Simple Green or Killian's Irish Red ( :D ) & letting it soak before thorough spritzing with George Dickel.

i should take a pic of the tailgate (after 100 miles) - i only lost 2 quarts, but you'd think i drove through a Saudi oil field!
i'm calling it my '50k mile belt, idler & underside rust prevention' day.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well ya see what you (hick) what you (hick) want to do is (hick) grab a (hick) toothbrush (hick) broothtrush (hick) and some ssssimple grreen. LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank, I'd get yourself one of those Banks Adapters like we use for the RDT's. That would make a better oil return point then that oil filler cap. Be more convenient too. Consider a braided hose as well. Get rid of the hood blanket. That way when something smacks the bottom of the hood, you might hear it. Time for a bath in Gunk.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Get rid of the hood blanket. That way when something smacks the bottom of the hood, you might hear it. Time for a bath in Gunk.
:rolleyes:
Ya but he might spill the ice cream when it happens..... Better spring for some plastic on the seats then too. :rotflmao

Really better get r cleaned up. Wouldn't want to get my hands too dirty changing that IP next year. :eek: :rotflmao