Truck shakes/bounces violently when braking hard at higher speeds

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt have this problem before when I drove truck everyday. It sat for a 6ish months. I recently started driving it and now when I hit the brake at higher speeds it shakes or bounces from side to side pretty violently. Itll actually throw stuff off the dash sometimes.

Sometimes it's just a slight shake but it I'm going 60-70 and I brake quickly and hold it down itll be violent.

Also when going slow and braking the truck almost rocks front to back. I feel like a bobble head when I actually pay attention to it.

Does this sound like a warped rotor?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That was my first thought although I can't see how a rotor would warp all by itself while you weren't driving the truck. It still wouldn't hurt to have them checked. If one or both is/are warped, it may be time to think about going into your brakes.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I definitely think it's the rotors. I don't think it could be much more than that. I can get rotors for around 60 bucks each at autozone so it wouldn't hurt update them

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Suleiman Saadeh

Rotors to start, could also be worn ball joints , worn out tie rods , unbalanced tires ,. Easy ways to tell if it is.

How much play you got in your steering wheel ? If you get rotors do the pads at the same time don't be cheap,

How's your A/C working out ?

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steering has a small amount of play if you mean how far it can turn before turning the wheels. I mean like an inch. The steering is pretty sensitive in the sense that it seems in good shape.

What would I look for if looking for worn tie rods if it's something easily explainable. If not I can just as easily research which I'll probably do anyways.

I'll definitely look into the possibility of them not being balanced tomorrow.

AC is great. It was the air gap. I removed the plate again and grabbed the washer with needle nose pliers. I thought there wasnt one before because I banged the plate and nothing came out. Now I'm just hoping maybe someone knows some way to make the ac blow harder. It doesnt really seem weak but I'd like a stronger AC. Probably need to fix the seals on the door too thatd probably make the truck more cool

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Suleiman Saadeh

Ok,

Test 1 tie rods , you need two ppl or one person and a video camera

1.Turn the the key to accessories or one click forward so you can turn the wheel freely .
2. One person needs to turn the wheel back and forth about 1/8 to 1/4 turn , not fast but not slow either , the second person needs to look at the inner and outer tie rods connecting points , at the wheel (outer tie rod)and at the steering box (inner tie rod) and see how much "slop" movement happens before the tires actually move.
3.If they are worn there will be a lot of "play" at the connecting points. Also if you can giggle the tie rods with your hand then you need new tie rods

2nd test:ball joints

1.Jack up one front wheel at a time for this procedure

2. If your looking at the wheel/tire our your hands at 12 and 6 (top and bottom of tire) and vigorously shake the tire back and forth . In a push and pull fashion, pushing the top then bottom, your trying to oscillate the tire.

3. Determine how much "play" it has (you can feel it ) if it has a good amount of play you need ball joints , if it doesn't move or moves minimum about your ok.

4. You should also grease At this time as well

5. Good luck with getting more out of your a/c , I just use the wind wings and a gallon of water

Last edited: