Truck is on the side of the road...

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier this evening I was taking my truck for a spin. I drove around for probably 40 miles no problems whatsoever. I was heading back home and was accelerating shifting through the gears, the truck shut off. I tried to start it back up but it wasn't even trying to start so I figured to not kill the batteries. It almost seems like it ran out of fuel but I just filled up the front tank not long ago. I installed a used radiator tonight as well right before I broke down. This definitely seems like a fuel issue or wiring issue.

My truck has a manual IP switch if that makes sense....and also manual glow plugs.

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you made it back home. Does sound like a fuel problem. Try blowing back into the tank and see if there is a blockage going back to the tank. I have have my mechanical pump fail on me and my electrical one get jammed on top of that I have also had that valve thing on the end of the pick-up tube in the tank plug up.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go through the fuel system very "systematically", its almost always there.

Good luck, ask lots of questions, lots of knowledge here.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if he is gelling already, i am scared. lowest i have seen so far is 25 degrees.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first check 12v to ip ...remove the air filter cover and spray some wd-40 or diesel fuel in try to start if she fires you may need a new ip