truck got an unintentional workout today

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking out some trees on a property. Some privets, a catalpa and a couple of pecans. The privets and catalpa tree are kinda crap wood for burning but free is free.

I decided I would pull out what they had got cut today and loaded about half the bed.
You must be registered for see images attach

On my way to drop off this little load, I ran across the holy grail of california firewood. Right of Way oak trimmings. I don't know about other states but here, they trim the trees alongside the road, cut the wood into nice rounds, stack and leave it. There were a few piles of oak just waiting for me. Ran out of light, bed space and energy to take anymore so someone else will get the rest. Truck road real nice with a little weight in the bed.
You must be registered for see images attach

I've scored some eucalyptus that way too. By far my favorite wood to burn.
BTW, If you have power lines on your property, I would suggest planting your firewood trees underneath them. They come out and trim, cut to length and stack it for free.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that rig could have handled about triple what you put in it but nice score. I remember cutting down many trees in my backyard and gave about 60 cords of wood to my neighbor lol. We loaded all the wood onto his old 1930 model AA ford fully restored flatbed with a v8 flathead engine in her. That was the best part. Not mentioning the type of tree :backoff but now that we got a fire stove in our house, we are wishing we kept some of it. Eucalyptus sure does burn nice but can crack chimney flues because it burns aweful hot. Almost like it's already soaked in Kerosene lol

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Eucalyptus sure does burn nice but can crack chimney flues because it burns aweful hot. Almost like it's already soaked in Kerosene lol

Hmmm...like kero, huh? Now you guys have me wondering if you could run an IDI off eucalyptus oil...and what your exhaust would smell like? LOL

sorry, but alt fuels get me all -Drool

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Eucalyptus sure does burn nice but can crack chimney flues because it burns aweful hot. Almost like it's already soaked in Kerosene lol

I've never heard of that one, there could be many other reasons for that like not having a raincap, allowing the flues to absorb water in winter and then crack. Heck even when they are full of gooey creosote and catch on fire they hold up. You can always put a SS liner for that stove packed with insulation pellets and never look back.

ON topic: A load of firewood sure makes the suspension feel nice and smooth.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be careful trying to burn it in your engine. Didn't someone UN the alt fuel section run orange oil and take out some seals?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eucalyptus wood has a high oil content within the wood even when it has been cured all season long. It has been known to crack chimney flues if too much Eucalyptus wood is used at once. The oil residue will build up inside the chimney overtime and may increase the temps, thus causing cracks. Typically not a concern if used sparingly in a stove or fireplace.
Anyways, nice find on that pile of wood. Back in the day when I was a kid, I also used to sell oak wood by the cord. Made some good money but awful lot of work. Kept me in shape and helped my pay for my school books

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
BTW, If you have power lines on your property, I would suggest planting your firewood trees underneath them. They come out and trim, cut to length and stack it for free.

Didn't know that SMUD did that, dgr, but it makes sense. I think the private tree contractors take the wood and sell it, but good on our local utility for this service.;Sweet

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I actually saw them doing that was SDGE. I may be assuming too much.

Neighbor I called complained I only left him the big pieces. I asked if maybe I shouldn't call him next time. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online