Truck down need help...

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Damn this sucks...

Went to dinner last night and was heading home .... everything seemed fine was running real nice. Stopped at one stop light, when it changed I went about a block and stopped at another light... when I went to leave the second light there seemed to be a hesitation... So I give it a little more fuel to see if I am just feeling things. She starts cutting out real bad, so I put it in nuetral and try to feather the throttle. From there she sputtered and died.. wouldn't even attempt to restart.

My first thought was fuel related since I was below a 1/4 tank... but the light hadn't come on yet ...... so to be safe I check the valve to see if there is fuel in the bowl... and there was... tons of fuel...

Next thought was CPS.. so I change it out.... A little planning ahead might have saved me the joy of laying in diesel fuel while changing it, but that seems like just my luck.

Try it again ... no joy.... I had to be towed home...

I had to be over at our Church for a youth group lock-in so I wasn't able to go any further last night.

Ok.. I so pull the codes and there are 3 of them... the two that I am most concerned over are

P1670 Electronic feedback signal not detected
P0381 Glow Plug Indicator Circuit Malfunction

Can anyone give me an idea of what to make of these codes an where to start in trying to fix it.

Here is something that I think was weird when trying to pull codes... I could not get the reader to read anything. Every time I connected it and pushed the go button it would shut off the reader and the guages would all go off like they were getting no power... then the stereo would reboot.

The only way for me to get codes was to pull the radio fuse.... What the hell would the radio have to do with pulling codes? It is an aftermarket deck but I used a factory harness adapter. I have had the stereo in the truck for a couple months now without any issues... :mad: :mad: :dunno :dunno

Last edited:

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I thought I should mention that the other code was about system voltage being low... I figure that was from me trying to start it so much...

But something that struck me as odd.. I went to erase the codes .. my thought erase them and try to start the truck to see if throws the same codes again... Anyways, when I try to erase the codes it gives me an error ... something about not being able to communicate with the PCM to try again.

Do you think it's possible that I fried my PCM? Hell all I was doing was driving!

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Chips not hooked up at all... still no joy...

I am thinking it might be something to do with the glow plug relay. I don't hear the glow plugs cycling on or off. I am going to try and get one from the auto parts store.

I came in for some food around 1pm and fell asleep .... stayed up all night watching the kids at the church.... man was I tired.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Sounds like the PCM but check ALL of the connectors especially to the PCM, just in case it wiggled loose.

MADVAN

Levittown N.Y.
Reaction score
WTS light come on?
With those codes i would check VC connectors. (outside and inside).
Possible burned connector.

Bill

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Sorry guys, been busy with work and trying to get this thing running..

I have a buddy coming over in an hour with a Snap On Diagnostic tool that can do a lot more than this little scan tool I have. He also knows the Master Mechanic at the Ford shop in Parker who is also kind of helping by giving advice and supplying test parts. My buddy is also bringing a test PCM to try out and see if that is the issue. The Mechanic has a suspicion that it's been fried.

I tested all the fuses and Glow plug relay and they came up good. I also pulled the HPOP plug to see if I was low on oil in there... it too was good.

MadVan, Yes the WTS comes on and goes back off. Though once again I can't hear the GPR make any noise at all. It does have power and according to the info I found it seems to fall within spec when testing. I also got a new GPR from the auto store and put it in place with no change at all. Also it's not that cold here... maybe 65° in the mornings, and gets up to 80-85 in the afternoons. Also remember this thing died while driving... Just like it lost fuel or spark.

Something I noticed last night and I am not sure of what to make of it. I was always under the impression that if you are cranking on the motor and all is good that you should see some movement or RPM's on the tach... When this first happened I noticed that there was no movement at all on the tach so I put in my spare CPS... which is brand new..... I didn't ever look again until last night. But, there is no movement on the tach.

I have checked all the connectors and looms... I couldn't find anything that looks fried.

Some thoughts before I go... I had a thought that because the TS chip actually goes up inside the PCM that solder joints might have rubbed on the main board and shorted out the PCM... But I have pulled the PCM out of the truck and examined everything real well and found that the solder joint sits over the top of a fair sized chip so it can't contact the main board at all. It also doesn't look like it has been rubbing on the PCM chip at all.

I also found out that when I was trying to pull the codes from the truck and couldn't was because of the radio ... sort of.... From what I have been told by another mechanic friend is that with some code readers that you can't have anything else on while trying to read the codes. that means the radio, lights, cigarette chargers, blower fans... and since I can't actually shut off this stereo I had to pull the fuse. At least that is one mystery down.

At this point I hope it is just the PCM...

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Wooo Hoooo ... got it running.... ya'll aint gonna believe what it was.

The Fuel pump...

After testing all the electrical stuff and it all coming back good we began to focus in on fuel.... So to be certain there was enough I went and got 5 gallons of diesel and put that in the tank...

Then we were up front and were talking about trying the test IDM that my buddy brought I notice a funny sound at the fuel filter... so I open it up and no fuel... I go under the truck and fuel pump is running... so we pull the front line off to see if we have a restriction going up to the filter... but no fuel is coming out the pump...

We checked the tank and fuel was coming out the tank...

So I bought a new pump and all is well again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Wooo Hooo, glad you got her running.
It would be interesting to know if 1) you're using the ULSD and 2) if it contributed to the failure of the pump due to lack of lubrication in the pump itself.

Glad you're running

John

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So fuel in the bowl doesn't mean diddly. Sounds like a fuel presure gauge is in order.

tollen17

Reaction score
I'll be darned....... Dieselmaster, How cool (not the prob.) but how you kept everyone in tune with your unfortunate problem. pretty neet reading. Hope the Londen Bridge is still in good shape, I lived in Havasu Spring Break is a little crazy though, miss everything but that.......... ps. go and have yourself a little Joy. ty Tollen

Last edited:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
you know its always the simpliest things that goes wrong.
Went to dinner last night and was heading home .... everything seemed fine was running real nice. Stopped at one stop light, when it changed I went about a block and stopped at another light... when I went to leave the second light there seemed to be a hesitation... So I give it a little more fuel to see if I am just feeling things. She starts cutting out real bad, so I put it in nuetral and try to feather the throttle. From there she sputtered and died.. wouldn't even attempt to restart.

whenever i have experienced hesitation it's always been the fuel pump crappin out. havn't experienced it yet with my diesel but with 2 of my previous gasser pumps had to be replaced because of hesitations and failures.