Troubleshooting leaks - cleaning up an engine

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So, I'm coming to an end on the upgrades and fixes to the engine for now. I have oil and fuel all over the engine from multiple sources - hopefully all dealt with at this time.

I want to clean up the engine as clean as possible without hurting things and then be able to look for leaks.

What is the best and easiest way to do this? I know steam cleaners can make terrible messes of wiring, etc.

Is there something that I can spray on and wash off that gives acceptable results?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Gunk engine degreaser from Solder Seal. Just seal up the intake, and spray it on a cold engine. You can presure wash or hose off the grime. Just make sure your valley pan drain is operating.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well given that there was a cup of diesel in the valley pan when I discovered the fuel leak, I would assume it is not.

Where is the drain in the pan? Does it have a drain hose attached to direct fluids off the engine itself?

I use Gunk engine degreaser from Solder Seal. Just seal up the intake, and spray it on a cold engine. You can presure wash or hose off the grime. Just make sure your valley pan drain is operating.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drain is a large screw with a Hex head in it. The hex head is actually a hole that goes all the way through, into a passageway which drains out on the top of the very back of the engine just before the bell housing.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So poke a hole in it?

Compressed air?

The drain is a large screw with a Hex head in it. The hex head is actually a hole that goes all the way through, into a passageway which drains out on the top of the very back of the engine just before the bell housing.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. That should be all that is needed.