Trip report

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back in two days ago from a 2200+ mile trip in the PSD with the TT in tow. This was my first time towing with the addition of both the Stg I's and the wildman chip. Last year I had the Stg I's but was only juicing with a SCMT. Last year it was pert near impossible to "get too much" with the SCMT. But with the chip/Stg I combo this thing was a towing MONSTER :peelout. This was a pretty rough tow also, right through the heart of the Rockies from Central Wyoming on up through Western Montana into Northern Idaho and our destination was Kettle Falls Wash. We did mostly interstate driving but the first 300 miles of the trip was secondary highways on into Red Lodge Mt. That first leg of the trip I took it easy on the throttle just to get the feel of how the Pyro/boost were going to act. I stayed mostly to 65 mph and got between 11.5-12 mpg :Thumbs Up. I know it seemed like the truck liked to run at 75 better while on the interstate, the RPM's were just in a better range to handle grades and such. I think at 75 I'm turning about 2300 rpm's and at 65 its closer to 2000 rpm's. With the cruise on @ 65 if I hit a good grade it wanted to kick down out of OD and then the pyro would just wrap right around, however @ 75 when I would hit a grade the old girl would just toss in some more fuel and the boost would begin to increase and the EGT's would stay more manageable. Matter of fact, @ 75 I had to keep a pretty close eye on the boost, on the flats it would run around 10 psi but on a good grade it would want to push right upto 30 and the EGT's would hang in the 1350 range. So I would have to feather out of it to keep the boost manageable. Now the bad news, she likes to run 75, but she's thirsty @ 75, to the tune of about 9 mpg :eek: . At one point I came across a new(er) Dodge pulling a flatbed lowboy (28-30 ft?) with a mid 70's model Chevy and some scrap iron on the lowboy, we were both doing right at 75 but I kept creeping up on him when he would get to a grade. Whats a poor boy to do??? I turned the old girl loose and let her run, the first grade I came around him he just kinna looked at me like :confused: ........ We came off that grade and I think he was a little miffed and he sped upto 80, I stayed right where I was at and about 3 miles down the road we hit another grade and guess who I met again. This time he got the whole enchilada from my 12 year old beast:peelout and after that second grade he didnt show his face again. :hail

Bottom line with the injector/chip combo is that this is one terrific towing combo. I however DID frequently set the CEL and am positive that it is my HPO. I do think an intercooler would be helpful in both controlling boost and egt's but not mandatory. At least not mandatory enough to warrant a $750.00 upgrade unless I towed ALL the time.

On our return trip home near Buffalo Wyoming we ran into a damn hail storm and got the front of the TT beat all to snot , didnt dent the pickup so I was thankful for that. Other than that tiny little hiccup, it was a safe, uneventful trip, no break downs, no accidents, no run in's with the po-po.

Notes, observations and pearls of wisdom picked up along the way:

Unscientific data here but, it seemed that about 7 out of 10 rigs on the road that had something in tow were blue ovals. After that, I would say that the Duramax was second. There were a TON of Cummins on the road, but they were all empty :***: musta broke the hitches off the trailers with all the power :rolleyes: .

Five people in a CC can get a little uncomfortable, especially after stopping at Taco Time for lunch.

If you forget to hook up your saftey chains and drag them 40 miles, you WILL lose one of your quick links.

If you forget to lock the fridge, it will come open and the salsa WILL spill on the floor ;Really both times.

There are alot of mosquitoes in Northern Idaho. :backoff

Fuel pumps shutting off at $75.00 is a major PITA. -cuss

Christie Brinkley never did zoom up in a red Ferrari and flirt with me. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Notes, observations and pearls of wisdom picked up along the way:

If you forget to hook up your saftey chains and drag them 40 miles, you WILL lose one of your quick links.

If you forget to lock the fridge, it will come open and the salsa WILL spill on the floor ;Really both times.

Christie Brinkley never did zoom up in a red Ferrari and flirt with me. LOL
the first and second observations is definite proof you're in the slow learning curve group :rotflmao

the third one is just plain showing your age.:eek: kids reading that name these days will put her in the **** territory.......on the same token, I wouldn't say no to her either.;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
the first and second observations is definite proof you're in the slow learning curve group :rotflmao

There were numerous other observations that went unmentioned that would definetly reaffirm that I am a slow learner. :rotflmao

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
not a comparison but 12.1 is about what I get towing at 55 in OD Never tried it in direct. I get about the same or better if I tow at 65 in OD and the engine seems happier.

As for Christie Brinkley, she's looking pretty good but then beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.