Trip odometer & clock not working

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think the mechanic was trying to sell me a repair job. But, I hadn't thought of it from that point of view. They were very busy and had no parking spots left in front of the garage. I don't know why it was so hard to remove the cluster...all I know is that the coat hanger would never have worked. The manual page sent to my by a friend shows 5 attachment clips.

I haven't hooked 12 volts up to it yet. I was thinking of trying it with the standard plugs just before I pushed it back into place. Also, I'm going to check all the bulbs...maybe even replace them. I'm still trying to find out about the speedo needle, not wanting to damage anything and make a "dumb" mistake (as Towcat says).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "coat hangers" are made of some very tough steel. many of the late model cars have really tight fitting cluster assys. I have(had) a genuine MBZ p/n pair. they unfortunately got loaned out and I don't remember who has them now. -cuss That's the side effects from being on travel for two years and old age. I hava alot of tools out "on loan" and got no idea who has them. As a direct result, I don't loan out tools anymore.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clocky no worky

The Warden said:
Very cool otherwise! Just wondering, have you applied 12 volts to the clock to see if it works yet?

Drat! I tried putting the connector in the dash on the clock module. No worky. -cuss

On the odometer, got the needle off, the return spring off and the cover off the odometer innards. Now I'm staring at it trying to figure out why it doesn't work. I thought this would be about a day's project.... :frustrate

I'll have to make up for all this frustration with an extra helping of Thanksgiving turkey... :angel:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Well boys, I now sit and wait for parts. I ordered a rebuilt clock module from a guy on eBay. Not being a clock repairman, I decided to draw the line at replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the board. I have repainted the faded indicator needles on the panel, and cleaned the back of the cluster. I never did figure out why the trip odometer didn't work. It seems to work now. :confused: And I thought this would be a one-day project! I've learned a lot doing this one and could probably re-do the same job in ten percent of the time I did it the first time. Waiting, waiting, waiting....

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...post reassembly

The unit is back in the car. The clock is working. The trip odometer is not.
When I took the odometer module out, it seemed to be operating correctly.
I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, so put it back in, and after a couple miles, it quit working again! Grrrr! :mad: I will have to pull it again to see if I can track it down. Maybe I'll wait for awhile. Wife is tired of having the MBZ down. At least, it will take me a LOT less time to get it out this time, now that I know how to do it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear the clock's working. As to the trip odometer...I wish I could say. :( Usually, it's the main odometer that fails...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online