transmission temperature

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the recommended operating temperature for the transmission?

I am thinking about going with a cooler mounter under the floor of the cab with a thermostatically controlled fan. Due to the intercooler install, I had to go with a smaller transmission cooler. Yesterday it did not seem to be keeping up in 70-80° weather with strong head winds and a trailer.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So find a temp switch in the 100-140°F range?

My thought is to remove the extra trans cooler in front. Then add the hose connections to the transmission pan for the new system. Either this cooler or a similar home made system

Attachments

• transmission cooler.gif
    transmission cooler.gif
    6 KB · Views: 13
  • derale Electra-Cool.jpg
    derale Electra-Cool.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2

ramon f350

Reaction score
sounds like you have got that figured out now just finding a fan with a switch or changing one out to get the correct temps will be the trick. hope you and the family had a pleasant trip and Thnaksgiving

Ramon

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
DON'T remove the factory cooler! :eek: Auxillary coolers will augment the factory cooler, but they cannot replace it. Leave it there and add whatever you buy to it. People in the past who have dosconnected the factory cooler had problems to no end with heat. :smoke:
James

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning to keep the lines connected to the radiator, just removing the small aux cooler that was mounted in front of the grill. Currently it is tucked between the radiator and the intercooler below the a/c condensor. A very tight fit.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Oh :sorry: You already have an aftermarket cooler. Why don't you just relocate the aux cooler you already have? Maybe no fan, but if you put it in a place of high airflow it may help alot more.
James

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could not find a place big enough for the plate type cooler that I just removed in the nose of the truck. I had to trim the grill just clear the intercooler and the receiver hitch prevents placing it behind the bumper.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
:shocked: :shocked: I saw a pic once of a gm pickup... the owner put two coolers over the cab mounted to the headache rack ;p Plenty of airflow. And large fast moving articles ;Sweet
James

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
JPR said:
I am thinking about going with a cooler mounter under the floor of the cab with a thermostatically controlled fan.

Napa makes a relay setup with a temp probe(installs thru the primary radiator fins), can't recall the #'s. Had to put one on my 88 Ranger 351W conversion. Had same problems no space and too much heat. The relay worked well as it has an adjustable pot dial and could dial it in to turn on a fan at a large variation of temps. Location is definitly a problem with all the goodies up front and is the best location for air flow. I opted for the side framerail at one point but was too concerned with road debris and couldn't get enough air flow. :mad:
Chickened out and dropped in a toploader 4 spd. ;Sweet No more cooked autos.
Final auto in(3rd) lasted 1200 miles and was a worked up C-4. -cuss
Now I just use the relay for the primary cooling system. ;Sweet
Too much :peelout

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ramon - trip was nice except for the stop and go traffic on I-35 including multiple accidents on Sunday.

Ron - even if I swap to manual that is in the garage, I will still need a trans cooler (it is 6 speed).

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I've eliminated both the radiator trans cooler and the factory air trans cooler. I replaced them with three 15,000 B&M stacked plate coolers. I mounted them 3 across right behind the grill. The trans has yet gone over 150 degrees. Of course, I don't have an intercooler, so I can mount them in the for optimum air flow. I would strongly reccomend that you add additional coolers in the transmission lines, as opposed to trying to cool the fluid in the pan. You could add a deep pan with cooling fins that run through the fluid if you want additional cooling through the pan.
John

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Acording to Brian at BTS, I got a Super Duty Tranny cooler and mounted it behind the bumper cutouts.

Clicky here

He said "that is all the cooling that you will ever need".

It is running through the Rad. first, then to the aux cooler. Never had a problem according to the tranny temp guage. allways stays :thumbsup:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
gotta tell ya guys,when i had my reman jasper e4od installed it came with the extra cooler,i installed a 140 to 300 degree gauge,and i have only had it hit 140 one time pulling a trailer in 100 degree heat.
the other day i used one of those infered heat gauges,and it read 130 degrees at the pan,no trailer or load in bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online