Transmission Temp Location Suggestions

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am getting a temp gauge for my E4OD and I was looking for suggestions on where to put the probe. Also what is a good temp for the transmission and when is it overheating. Thanks

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Should be a brass test port plug on the drivers side of the trans. Right above the pan. I don't like seeing mine(when I had it) above 190.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a port in any good aftermarket pan. The mag-Tec does an its deeper pan

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am getting a temp gauge for my E4OD and I was looking for suggestions on where to put the probe. Also what is a good temp for the transmission and when is it overheating. Thanks

I used 3/8" hydraulic hose for my cooler lines and put the temp sender in a T-fitting in the outlet line (Hot oil) to the cooler. If I'm running empty I'll see 130-150... At the most it'll climb to 180 pulling a trailer or driving in town. Unless your running synthetic ATF you don't want to see anything over 200 because the oil starts degrading. Over 250 you can kill a transmission in no time.

gandalf

Reaction score
Location and aftermarket pan:

You can see the location in the attached picture. The pan is a Ford genuine pan. It is a bit deeper than stock, and has a drain plug. That is on my '92 truck, with E4OD.

You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
Where can I find that pan? Autozone?

Autozone? Not a chance for the one in my picture. That's a genuine Ford part. It has "Ford" stamped on it, in an oval. You'll find it at your local friendly Ford dealer. In other words, go to your local friendly robber baron. Take your vaseline with you.

From a post 8 years ago (this was my source for the part numbers):

[FONT=&quot]If you should want the deep oil pan for your E4OD with the drain plug and the reusable gasket, here is the part number for the kit, includes pan, gasket and bolts necessary to do the conversion:

F7TZ-7A194-DA

The pan itself, for the later E4ODs, is a

F81Z-7A194-BA

Hope this helps you.
[/FONT]

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Autozone? Not a chance for the one in my picture. That's a genuine Ford part. It has "Ford" stamped on it, in an oval. You'll find it at your local friendly Ford dealer. In other words, go to your local friendly robber baron. Take your vaseline with you.

From a post 8 years ago (this was my source for the part numbers):

[FONT="]If you should want the deep oil pan for your E4OD with the drain plug and the reusable gasket, here is the part number for the kit, includes pan, gasket and bolts necessary to do the conversion:

F7TZ-7A194-DA

The pan itself, for the later E4ODs, is a

F81Z-7A194-BA

Hope this helps you.
[/FONT]

Tranny pan should run about $30-$40. bucks. 98 E4OD 99 and up 4R100. :D