Transmission shifting up/down

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving down the street at a steady throttle the transmission will shift up and down mostly in the upper gears, it will also do this on the Hwy. I had the codes read and they said there is a shift sensor on the outside or the transmission that shows bad, I didn't know there was a sensor that moniter's the shiftting :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its called the MLPS switch. Its found on the manual lever position on the drivers side of the trans. When replacing it there is a setting but it can be done easily. Just read the directions in the box.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
First I would check for corrosion in the plug in connectors.
first on both sides of the transmission,then 2 connectors under the master cylinder(put there so brake fluid can be spilt on them)& then the connector forther power relay by the drivers side hood hinge. Spray them with electrical contact cleaner-coat them or pack some diaelectric grease in them.If no help go to the computor plug and make sure thet is getting a good connection (many many wires there to become corroded.The diaelectric grease will keep water and salt to a minimum. I had trouble dropping in and out of over drive 5 years or so ago that cured my problem no signh of it reoccuring so far. You can't get the connectors too clean.
I think many trans problems are incorrectly diagnosed when a bad connectior is the culprit..

Last edited: