Transmission shifting odd

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we can't see your truck,so it's important you tell us what you've done.
you have 2 clear issues i can see right off.
1.a failing tps/fipl and or it's plug is dirty.
have you replaced this yet? they are a medium ware item and should be replaced every 50k miles anyway.
if you did replace it,what did you set it to?
if you didn't replace it,what are the voltage values and is it's sweep clean?

the tell tale symptom of a failing or out of adjustment tps:
you need to press the pedal and wait for the truck to downshift,where if set/working correctly results in an instant downshift and hauling ars.

2.you have an issue with converter lockup.
did you inspect and clean the solenoid pack connector on both sides?

once you have cleaned all plugs you can find related to the trans,you should then pull the codes.have you done so yet? do you know how? if so,what are they?

I have replaced the range sensor on the side of the transmission. I cleaned all of the plugs I could find with contact cleaner and added di-electric grease. I have never replaced the TPS on the truck, but it sounds like I should. The truck has about 180k on it and I have no clue if it's ever been replaced.

I don't know how to pull codes on the truck. I do not have any warning lights on so I am not sure if I have any codes to read.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the factory controller is a stand alone unit.it's only function is to control the e40d.

for sure replace the tps and adjust it via the revised technical bulletin 186a posted in the tech section here.
that will make shifting correct again.it may also cure the converter unlocking foolishness as well.

as to why the od light isn't flashing (and setting code 62) im not sure why not.it should take just 4 or 5 times of the converter unlocking when in OD to set the code.
does the od light bulb turn on when you press the button?
grab yourself an obd1 code scanner.you plug it in up by the drivers side hood hinge.two plugs in plastic clips.
hold WOT during test or else you get false tps code 23.

to be clear,and this is vitally important.you inspected and cleaned the plug located behind this heat shield correct?
did you use a small mirror to inspect down in the pack plug side? did the wires around the truck side of the harness all look flawless?
the plug and pins on each side of this clip can't possibly be over cleaned and shiny.green corrosion on any of the pins = a disastrous fail.this is how the ecm and trans do their main "talking".it needs to be flawless.

the truck side can be repaired via searching for:
89-94 e40d repair harness

the trans side can be repaired by cleaning up the pins to shine.you may need to remove the pack to get to it better.otherwise (worse case) you can simply buy a reman or new solenoid pack (also which is year specific 89-94.)

Attachments

• E4ODShiftSolenoidPackPlug.jpg
    E4ODShiftSolenoidPackPlug.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory controller is a stand alone unit.it's only function is to control the e40d.

for sure replace the tps and adjust it via the revised technical bulletin 186a posted in the tech section here.
that will make shifting correct again.it may also cure the converter unlocking foolishness as well.

as to why the od light isn't flashing (and setting code 62) im not sure why not.it should take just 4 or 5 times of the converter unlocking when in OD to set the code.
does the od light bulb turn on when you press the button?
grab yourself an obd1 code scanner.you plug it in up by the drivers side hood hinge.two plugs in plastic clips.
hold WOT during test or else you get false tps code 23.

to be clear,and this is vitally important.you inspected and cleaned the plug located behind this heat shield correct?
did you use a small mirror to inspect down in the pack plug side? did the wires around the truck side of the harness all look flawless?
the plug and pins on each side of this clip can't possibly be over cleaned and shiny.green corrosion on any of the pins = a disastrous fail.this is how the ecm and trans do their main "talking".it needs to be flawless.

the truck side can be repaired via searching for:
89-94 e40d repair harness

the trans side can be repaired by cleaning up the pins to shine.you may need to remove the pack to get to it better.otherwise (worse case) you can simply buy a reman or new solenoid pack (also which is year specific 89-94.)

Thanks for all of the good info. I will check into it when I have a little more time. I went ahead and ordered a new TPS from Rock Auto and I will replace that when it gets here then I will see if the truck is still acting funny.