Transmission extension housing question

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at potentially trading my 2006 F150 for a 97 f250 4x4 5 speed, the transmission extension extension housing is cracked on the f250. To do the repair I'm not worried about that but what causes these to break aside from abuse? Been looking for an OBS PSD for a while and most of them are stupid high priced around here so I am very interested in the trade. Any help?

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K looks like this deal is going to happen, any other things I should check when I get it home. It needs an inspection as it's an out of province truck but I'm not worried about putting some money into it.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

Does the ZF 5 speed have the emergency brake on the transmission tail shaft? If it does, the tail shaft has it's own bearings and oil supply. It is common the oil doesn't ever get changed and the bearings seize and crack the tail shaft on 2 wheel drive. I have no experience with a 4x4 with drive shaft emergency brake.. but knowing how Ford likes to use the same setup as much as possible, might be a place to start checking.

The tail shaft has no drain, you have to suck the oil out the fill plug which is driver side, about center with the shaft.. you have to look for it.. use the same auto trans fluid oil as rest of the trans..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Far as I know, 4x4's didn't get the trans brake.
No where to put it with a t-case on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just dealt with this on a gasser.it dropped the transfer case on the in an intersection.need tranny and transfer.of course it was super rare,only one in this state 351,5 speed.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now ya got me a lil worried im gonna be looking for a transmission lol I'm on the fence right now on the deal, feel like I'm taking a huge hit trading but Ive been looking for something like this for a while.
What I'm trading 2006 F150 XLT 4x4

You must be registered for see images attach

What I'm getting if I don't get cold feet
You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 97 sure looks like a 92 to me. See Avatar and pic below.

Why do you want a diesel truck?

Attachments

• DVC01780.JPG
    DVC01780.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 43

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want powerstroke because I've outgrown the half ton, and both of my IDI's are reg cabs which suck trying to take my son, wife and two dogs (one is 180lbs) anywhere. The 97 is a F250 with the dually conversion, would rather a f350 but it'll do. I haul 5,000-18,000lbs regularly from distances ranging 100-1200km on average depending where I'm headed. This will become the haul truck and I'm going to keep driving my million miler 6.9 idi as my commuter to work. Also I'm a heavy duty diesel tech and despise working on gas motors honestly and the 5.4l triton is known for motor issues so I'd like to get rid of it while it's running good

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a darn good explanation of why you want the PSD.

trying to take my son, wife and two dogs (one is 180lbs) anywhere.

Now am I supposed to guess which one of the four is 180 lbs? :rotflmao :D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smart man gettin rid of the embarassment to ford trucks.

Finding a tranny for the diesel wont be like the gasser i worked on.i guess a 351 with 5speed 4wd was rare in 97.owner scrapped it.

The dual mass flywheel going out can also crack the housing.if you can or know someone who can weld aluminum weld it up if its only cracked.if broken off,i wouldnt bother.you could also have a tranny shop replace the case or do it yourself.

Last edited:

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 97 sure looks like a 92 to me. See Avatar and pic below.

In a former life,I worked at a local U.B.C. and oneof the company trucks used for deliveries and that was a '97 F350 Dually with a flatbed and a 351 Windsor/5-speed. The light duty trucks( F150) are the only ones that had the body change in '97, I think the rest of the line didn't get changed until the early '99 'Super Duty truck body rolled around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Staff online