Transmission dipstick on turbo swap

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thewespaul are you running one of these with an ATS factory style set up? Any pics?
I ran it with a banks setup, but it looks like it would clear an ats setup as well. It’s not on my truck but a customer’s

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through the same issues you are when I had to do my flex plate. I gave up trying to find a turbo stick and went back with the banks part Wes noted. Mine already had it with the turbo one of the po's installed but it was jacked so I needed to replace it.

Not sure about fitment with the ats setup, but it works ok with the banks. Crappy part is trying to get the bolt in the back of the head and if you have a/c the stick is right against the box..

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found reading a dipstick on an E4OD to be very ambiguous and have overfilled at least once, which caused the trans to overheat. It cooled back to normal when I drained some out. I have a switch that selects engine or trans temp.

So I installed a sight tube. Running in park the fluid should be at the top of the pan, no higher. See pic.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fFquy53SZ93WGecP7

That's a great idea! I think that ambiguous is a bit too kind for the way that the e4od Turbo dipstick functions! What kind of tubing did you use? I'm assuming that the petcock is so that you can shut it down so that it does not leak out all the fluid if damaged, am I correct?

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea! I think that ambiguous is a bit too kind for the way that the e4od Turbo dipstick functions! What kind of tubing did you use? I'm assuming that the petcock is so that you can shut it down so that it does not leak out all the fluid if damaged, am I correct?

See my edited original comments.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for those who may be interested, I bought the banks piece. Definitely not the whole tube. I haven't even attempted to install it, as I haven't found another stock one yet. It looks to either mount in the tranny and extend it up, or stick in the old one on top. I'd have to see the oe in place to really mock it up, but definitely not a whole solution for someone in my shoes

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy it? If it came from banks it should have instructions explaining the install. It does not replace the entire tube.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work for banks' single largest retailer, so I got it through work, on a stock order directly from banks. No instructions, no anything. Normal banks type packaging. Not that I'm at all surprised about a lack of instruction packet that they usually have.

I called prior to purchase, and attempted to talk to anyone willing to help. The guy I got had no idea how to obtain any useful info regarding this piece. He didn't even know they made it, or the downpipe I bought from them that I needed this tube to clear.i had to explain that the part number I had given him was not missing any letters that would have changed it to some other part..

Again, working for their largest retailer and installers, I'm very VERY familiar with how they work, and have spent many hours on the phone with them working out problems on other vehicles in our shop. If it's not a 6 gun kit on a 6.7, your hard pressed to get anyone that knows anything to talk to you, if they still work for the company at all.

So I resolved my self to purchase the much lower employee priced part and test out what's up with it for myself. Hopefully I'll be able to share results once I (if I) get it worked out.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve dealt with them a good bit, obviously I’m not the biggest retailer in the country, but I’ve dealt with them a good deal and I completely agree, very difficult to get any info from them about these older parts, but then again it’s a blessing they are even still selling them, even if they aren’t the best fit or direct bolt on.

When I have installed these, I install the adapter into the nub that comes out of the trans, then used the factory tube on top of the adapter. The instructions read to bend the lower portion of tube and the bracket welded onto the top of the tube until it can bolt onto the side of the head like the factory tubes do. You will need the factory turbo dipstick to match the extra length.

I hope that helps, since you’re a big customer for them you should give them an ear full for not sending the proper paper work with that tube, mine always have. I looked through my stack of saved instruction manuals and don’t see the one for this kit.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are certainly ups and downs to being the big retailer. I wish giving them an earful would matter, they don't much care what "store level" folks have to say. It's the corprate level they care to impress. As long as the corprate contract stays in place, store level folks can cry a river for banks' boat to float down. In fact calling as Joe customer has gotten me farther a few times. HOWEVER,

I Certainly agree that I'm thankful they are still in the game. In fact they are the only big company out there that does to my knowledge. So I try not to push the envelope too much anyhow. Much appreciated in that regards.

Also, thanks for the useful version of the instructions that I'd really need ( they always start with " disconnect the battery" that I usually skip). Now all that's left is to source another stocker and stick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online