Transmission cooler/ Radiator

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
I pulled my Radiator today as I am replacing my Rad core support and front fenders on my Truck, when I pulled one of the small hoses which goes from bottom of Rad to external Trans cooler I seem to get oil in my bucket, I am using Rotella ELC coolant which is pink just like Transmission fluid. Is there Transmission fluid being pump through the bottom of the Radiator ? or do I have much bigger issues here?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.There is a devoted,enclosed section of the radiator which your ATF runs through,to cool your transmission.From there,it goes back to the trans or preferably,and in your case,passes through an air aux cooler also then returns back to the trans from that.
So yes,there is ATF passing through the bottom of your radiator and this is a good thing.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
That is great news, did not have time to trace all the lines.When draining Rad coolant looked real clean and oil free,I just assumed all lines in or out of the Rad should only contain coolant.Learned something new about my Truck today.Thanks .

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that sounds like someone has been keeping good care of it then.Hopefully she lasts you a good long while.Your welcome.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
Yes I have had this 1994 7.3 factory turbo diesel 4x4 extended cab from new. I still love the Truck after 23 years and 400,000 Km. Taking care of the rust , core support and two fenders.The rest of the Truck is solid.Now that the front of the Truck is missing, I am thinking this would be a good time to pull the Engine and Transmission for a Mid life upgrade.She has a rusted oil pan ,leaky oil cooler,and another oil leak I have been unable to trace. I did plan to take care of the Oil cooler,but its tempting to just pull the Engine and take care of everything.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have had this 1994 7.3 factory turbo diesel 4x4 extended cab from new. I still love the Truck after 23 years and 400,000 Km. Taking care of the rust , core support and two fenders.The rest of the Truck is solid.Now that the front of the Truck is missing, I am thinking this would be a good time to pull the Engine and Transmission for a Mid life upgrade.She has a rusted oil pan ,leaky oil cooler,and another oil leak I have been unable to trace. I did plan to take care of the Oil cooler,but its tempting to just pull the Engine and take care of everything.

If you were going to do something like this eventually anyways... Now would definitely be the time.