tranny shifting problem

CMNS PWR

Reaction score
Having a problem when coming to a stop. The auto tranny will not downshift to first gear. It tries to start off in second gear. If I manually put it in first, all is well. Fluid level is fine. Its just annoying. Tranny is stock with 38k on it. Governor solenoid?

NWDave

Reaction score
Give DTT a call at 1-866-504-4002. Bill Kondalay may be able to give you a couple of suggestions on what or where. By the way, how's your 3rd to 4th shifting. Mine was sluggish and when Bill opened it up, there was sloppy milling in the VB and I was getting low pressure. Seems that there might a problem with this for others in the 2001 and similar. Evidently my truck wasn't the first one he's seen with this problem.

~Dave

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad's 98 had the same problem. He had a DTT installed here in Dallas and the guy knew what the problem was. Problem is, it was so long ago I can't remember what he did to fix it. Bill K. will know.

BTW, don't let SMD see this thread.

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this very thing only a few weeks ago. Bands and fluid were fine. 2nd gear starts, but could pull down to first.

It was the governor solenoid and switch. It showed 3 psi all the time.

Dave

B

Big K

Welcome Dave.(FTD4U)

Will the tranny shift into O/D? or Lockup?

Guys, enlighten me on the Gov. Sol. :confused:
Inside or outside of pan?
When this happened to mine, (now NAIL BENDER"S), the CPS puked, and the O/D or lockup solenoid, in the pan, was bad also.

Where is the Gov. sol?

Per Bill's (DTT) gracious instructions, (given over the phone, while traveling to May Madness), we were able to test the solenoids in the pan, and determine a failure. THX Bill.

Mine went into "limp mode/default". Would not auto-downshift into 1st, nor would it shift into O/D. Would pull down into low.

Keep us posted.

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric,

All parts are inside the pan. But I won't be worried about that after I talk to DTT.

BTW, my injectors are just waitin' for me to bring them to your shop. Install parts are on the way. Tell Joe there's a sample ride waiting for him.

OOps, didn't mean to hijack your thread!! :yell:

Dave

One of the true Lumber Men!

B

Big K

Originally posted by Fishin2Deep4U

All parts are inside the pan. But I won't be worried about that after I talk to DTT.

Then we're talking about the same thing. Two solenoid cluster. We were able to perform a resistance test per Bill's instructions to confirm failure.

BTW, my injectors are just waitin' for me to bring them to your shop. Install parts are on the way. Tell Joe there's a sample ride waiting for him.

Whenever you're ready. Anything I can do to contribute to Joe's trip North, except provide the cash, that is.;p

BigSix

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my '01.5. The folks in the service dept were honest enough to say it's a common problem. It would be very easy for an unscrupulous transmission shop to say it needed a complete rebuild. The dealershop replaced the solenoid/switch unit and I was good to go. The 47RE in my '03 will probably do the same in time...

CMNS PWR

Reaction score
Having the solenoid and switch replaced in the morning. I'll let yall know how it goes. Thanks for the help fellas.

CMNS PWR

Reaction score
Problem solved. FWIW, gentleman doing the work said if the problem keeps occuring, the wiring harness is the root problem. He said he has seen 3 CTDs with this problem and the harness was the cause in each case. Again, take it FWIW.

truckstom

Diesel *******
Reaction score
So the wiring harness shorts out?? Mine did the same thing right after I got it...replaced selonoids, all was good ...then I met James in Midlothian,Texas. This tranny rocks now.