Reaction score
Anyone know where the drain plug is on the tranny? Can't find it anywhere

1989 F250 7.3idi 95,000!!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What transmission?

Zf5 is at the bottom.
Auto's usually won't have a drain. Just have to drop the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the e4od. It is auto and I can't find it anywhere so I figured I would have to drop the pan... Fun times!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Year of truck would help tell us what trans you have but I'm thinking you have the E4OD with the overdrive button either on the dash or the end of the shift lever. On the E4OD trans they have 2 longer screws holding the pan in place. Those are on the front corners I think. Just start removing the screws or bolts if thats what you choose to call them. Find the long ones. They are longer so you can lower that edge of the pan to drain off much of the fluid. Its like tipping a pan of oil up on an edge to pour out the oil at the lower edge idea. Its not mess proof but its something. Another idea is to remove a atf fluid line up front if you have an extra trans fluid cooler. Place that end line in a bucket and start the engine. Fluid will pump out. When you see the first air bubbles shut the engine down. Now the pan is nearly drained and easier to remove.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Undo all but two corner bolts not opposing like a diamond but next to each other...

with your large catchall....gently pry down far edge...then loosen the two bolts a bit at a time prying slowly allowing the pan to tip down in a controlled fashion, this helps stop the drop n slop ...LOL

I've done this for years and it's the cat's meow!

Good luck.

Al

E D I T...Thanks to Ken...AKA gandalf for the picture...

You must be registered for see images attach

So what I was trying to say...leave bolts A and B loose.. and ONE in tight....then pry down on opposite end of pan...starts to break seal...then slowly undo the bolt labeled one...this slowly lowers pan hold that lowering edge too to stop the flop...once BOLT ONE is out...you can continue to undo A and B and this allows pan to drain more fully. once bolts are almost out pan should be near drained..press up to trans undo A and B and then lower pan carefully and avoiding the plop and slop mess...;Sweet

Last edited:

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you actually drain the trans fluid to justify a drain. I was told unless your trans filter has been changed on a regular basis from day one not to mess with it because changing the filter will do more harm than good

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep it's the e4od have the od switch in dash. I was a little low on ATF so I added, but I think to much cuz it was slamming hard into 2nd. So I just wanted to drain a little. Just bought starter and fuel filter so $$ is tight.

gandalf

Reaction score
The E4OD does not come stock with a drain plug. Not one of Ford's brighter ideas. But that can be rectified.

When I drained the ATF on my E4OD, by dropping the pan, I said, "never again". A member of the previous forum, we'll call it Brand X, found another Ford pan which will fit the E4OD, There are two advantages. It's a larger pan, holds more ATF, and should therefore run cooler perhaps. It also has a drain plug. That's a distinct advantage.

From his old post: "[FONT=&quot]If you should want the deep oil pan for your E4OD with the drain plug and the reusable gasket, here is the part number for the kit, includes pan, gasket and bolts necessary to do the conversion:

F7TZ-7A194-DA

The pan itself, for the later E4ODs, is a

F81Z-7A194-BA"

I'll add a picture if I can find it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Somewhere I have a good picture of the pan mounted on the transmission, but I can't fine it now.
[/FONT]

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you want to do is drain a little pull a trans cooler line off and start the truck and let it pump into a clean bucket(in case you take out too much you can pour some back in lol) and let it pump out until you think you have removed enough but i think you may have more issues than being overful

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be getting one with a drain ASAP. I hope that is all it is and nothing too bad lol. After all she only has 95k on her so she isn't even broke in yet. I'm also going to put a bigger cooler in. At least I can dream for now.
I'll see if I can do the cooler line trick less messy. Thanks fellas!!

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL he must have been typing while i was. I had no idea ther was such a pan and though he was talking about trying to weld in a bung or something. This is a great idea and may be a possible upgrade for me as well

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I was talking about drilling and adding one.

But a whole pan would be easier.
Could opt for the aluminum one with cooling fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that many miles on it and not knowing if the trans fluid has ever been changed, do this with either the MerconV or a synthetic. Normal fluid change is ~30K miles with MerconV, synthetic can go ~70K. The below also flushes the torque converter. Filter need not be changed unless the fluid has been burnt.
NEVER overfill the E4OD, best to run a 1/2 to 3/4 quart low, check level when hot engine running and in Park or Neutral.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29296-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online