Trailer Plug Wiring

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am finally digging into installing a 7 pin connector and brake controller on my '88 E250. It had a 4 pin that the previous owner told me he had spliced in. I unwrapped the electrical tape and found this
You must be registered for see images

I then started digging under the dash and found this

You must be registered for see images

Now does this mean that at some point this vehicle already had a 7 pin/brake controller and that this is the wiring for it? If so, I should be able to just add the 7 pin and hook up the controller to the existing wiring....correct?

Thanks

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a while ago, but, most of the newer trucks came prewired where you just plug in a pig tail and wire up the controller. 86, I have no idea. I would t be surprised if it came with the towing package. Check etrailer.com. They seem to have the pig tails for about everything.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a while ago, but, most of the newer trucks came prewired where you just plug in a pig tail and wire up the controller. 86, I have no idea. I would t be surprised if it came with the towing package. Check etrailer.com. They seem to have the pig tails for about everything.

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to get it wired up a couple of weeks ago. All the wires were there, but the blue/brake controller wire must have been damaged because there was not continuity to the wire under the dash. Ran a new one and now I am in buisness. Did notice something kinda weird....for some reason Ford made it so the hazard lights flash the brake lights instead of the the turn signals or running lights. This means that if I turn on the hazards with a trailer the trailer brakes pulse with the flashers.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
turn signals on a trailer = brake lights, same exact wire/light same as the rears on your truck/van

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. My 88 did that. It was nice in that I could turn on the parking lights and flashers and check everything myself (brakes included) with one trip around the trailer. ;Sweet.

Not so good if you have to use the flashers for some reason along the road or while trying to drag something heavy up hill. :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance