towing a 96 RCLB 4x4 gasser on a dolly?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhaul website says "not recommended"
the 96 will be towed by my 91 f350 CCLB
Load the 96 on backwards, front hubs unlocked...whats the problem?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any dolly that a truck will fit on, your 96 is too wide.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhh, ok what are my other options then? I do not own a trailer.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far do you need to tow it? There are risky options that you can probably get by with if you only need to move it down back roads for 30 miles or so.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
600 miles
it drives, just the trans doesnt want to shift up wihtout letting off the throttle. will shift up when hit on the selector stick.
thinking TPS sensor for the trans?

Thinking towbar, but then i gotta spedn 150$ minimum on one, figure how to attatch it to the new truck etc.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get temp tags and insurance. That would easiest. That's a long way, even if you had a trailer.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
indeed. I trust my truck, just never know what can happen with a new vehicle.
Im pretty adventurous so i might jsut drive it.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temp plates and drive it with your other truck as a chase vehicle, worst case you end up needing to rent a trailer from Uhaul or someone if it doesn't make it the full distance.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im being a penny pincher, but if im driving it back i want to take the lexus down to get it. 24 mpg of gasoline is much better than 17mpg diesel lol not to mention more comfortable!
your idea Sask makes the most sense. But...will it FIT on a uhaul trailer? i know its over the weight rating of it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that a 90 RCLB fits on a uhaul trailer but there is not an inch to spare. Not saying its a good idea for a 600 mile trip but... just saying. ;)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has stock (skinny) tires it will barely go between the fender wells. I think the trailer measures 126" on the ramps? That's the number that comes to mind. I was sweating it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, if you go that route, get some 10 K straps and maybe a piece of chain because the front tire binders won't actually fit over the tires. I think I ended up just pulling them over the front diff and snugging them down. I was only going about 15 miles though.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha seems driving seems to be much safer option! I should bring a tow strap, and worst case the trans gives out, ill tow it old school style. Taking a spare wheel and tire with me as well.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify above. Length is the main problem. The truck I was moving was actually a dually where the outside rear dual was removed so it was the lug nuts on the dually rim that ever so slightly rubbed going through the fender wells. A SRW should be better but still, its tight. If you got into a tough spot it might be an option. 500 miles on a tow strap would SUCK!!!! I'm not sure that even starts to describe it.