Towcat... Pics Of Buick Engine

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Cleaned up the IAC and replaced it. Ran fine for a bit and started it's normal stuff. Popped a code 41 (cam sensor) so I replaced it with one I'd grabbed while at the wrecking yard. Ran for a bit then died again. Took the ICM down to Auto Zone and had it tested... Tested good. I'm done with this damn thing. Letting it cool off now so that it'll start long enough to load it on the trailer.

sounds like you've covered the bases!

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some parts off a 92 Regal 3.8 I replaced the engine because it had a rod knocking. I have been selling parts from the old engine on Ebay. If you need somethin let me know I'll see if I still have it.
I wish I would have seen this thread a earlier I just sold an ICM and coils cheap.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have some parts off a 92 Regal 3.8 I replaced the engine because it had a rod knocking. I have been selling parts from the old engine on Ebay. If you need somethin let me know I'll see if I still have it.
I wish I would have seen this thread a earlier I just sold an ICM and coils cheap.

From what I've found out, it may be the main computer sending the wrong signals after everything goes into "open loop". Do you still have the crankshaft sensor? It's the last sensor on the engine that I haven't replaced or tested. I keep getting a "Code 42 - Spark Timing Error". I have replaced the camshaft sensor with a new one, and the ICM tested out three times in a row as good. That means either the crankshaft position sensor is malfunctioning, or the main computer is going to #%@$ on me. I want to just haul it off, but I have a lady that really likes the car and said she'll pay for whatever parts are needed to get it running right. I can pick up a new ECM for about $60. Is there anywhere I can take the old ECM and have it tested?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if its the one behind the balancer you need I have it. Also have the balancer w/ pickup and the plastic cover for the sensor. Its from a 92, if it will work for you I'll send it to ya for shipping costs. I have it all listed in my Ebay store if you want pics.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I won't be needing it afterall. I spent about 3 hours today researching these vehicles, talking to electrical specialty shops, auto parts stores, and other GM car owners. Found out that the GM 3.8L engines DO NOT run correctly on BOSCH PLATINUM spark plugs and that the ECM is prone to "overheating" due to sitting so close to the heater core. I took out the ECM, cleaned all the harness connections, and made sure all the wiring was good and the connections were tight. When I put in the ECM, I spaced it away for the heater core and made a "heat shield" for it to keep the heat from the heater core housing from transferring heat onto the ECM. I took out the Bosch plugs (BLACK AFTER ONLY 21 MILES). I cleaned up the old Autolite Copper Core plugs and put them in (just to see if the plugs really mattered). I fired it up and it's ran fine with NO ISSUES for almost two hours of idleing, revving, driving, shutting off engine, restarting it, and driving some more. I called Schuck's and talked to the guy that sold me that Bosch Platinums and told him what I had found out and told him how the plugs looked. He said to bring them down and he'll just warranty out the Bosch plugs and send me home with a new set of Autolite Copper Cores and the difference in cash. I know I should have cut my losses on this along time ago, but I wanted to find out what was going on and just kept researching and trying different things. So far, so good. I could have gotten $100 for it at the wrecking yard after putting $111 into it parts, or keep trying and get it running right, and get $650 + parts. So far, it's cost me $111 in parts (intake gasket set -$28, camshaft sensor -$29, thermostat -$6, thermostat o-ring - $2, spark plugs -$18, and used ICM and newer plug wires from wrecking yard - $28) and a total of about 10 hours of labor. That averages out to $65/hr. for my time, so I'm happy and now I'll have the money to cover bills for one more month without having to sell any of my "toys".

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear, I had a Pontiac 6000 like that once. It kept frying MAF sensors, I got one with a lifetime waranty but after #3 in a year I decided it wasnt worth messin with anymore.
On the sparkplugs: Bosch are junk, I wont use them in anything I've seen too many of them go bad. Autolites are the best, I've used them in everything for years and never had problems with them. Also most of your Motorcraft and A/C Delco plugs are made by Autolite.