Tow weights for my 5th wheel

tgatch

Reaction score
I rolled over the scales on the way back from a trip this weekend. The ODOT scale weighed me as follows with a full tank of fuel and just me in the truck.

Steer axle 4100
Drive Axle 5700
Trailer axles 10,400.

Totals up to 9800 on the truck and 20,200 GCW. GVWR is 9900, GCWR is 20,000 and the GAWR on the rear is 6830.

Empty with a full tank plus me the truck weighs as follows:

4220 Steer axle
2880 Drive axle

So that works out to be a 2820 lbs pin weight. The total trailer weighs 13,220. What's odd to me is it seems to have lifted 120lbs of the front axle. I would have thought that it was supposed to add some weight to the front axle as the king pin is slightly forward of the rear axle.

The 5th wheel is a 2003 Hitchhiker Discover America 31 1/2 LKTG. It had a full load of water at 70Gallons. It also has an Onan 5500 Generator in the front storage. According to Onan's website the generator weighs 290lbs.

tgatch

Reaction score
You know I just looked at these numbers. Something don't jive. I wonder if the Empty truck weight is not right.

7100+13220= 20320

The scale today showed 4100+5700+10400=20200.

Hmmm... I'm wondering if I moved off of the steer axle too quick before the scale settled down. That would account for the 120lbs lbs lighter.

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let off the brakes once you are stopped on the scale, if the trailer is braking harder than the truck it will lift the front axle and shift weight to the drive axle

tgatch

Reaction score
Well, someone on another forum pointed out to me that I used two different scales. that could easily account for my weight differences.

Anyway you slice it, I'm close to being over the GVWR and am over the GCWR. I am well under on my GAWR so all is good. Truck handles the load well and gets about 10 MPG pulling the beast.

Attachments

• 0031-Leaving-Cow-Lakes.jpg
    0031-Leaving-Cow-Lakes.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 14

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Weight ratings - schmeight ratings - if the truck handles the weight (bumpers not on the ground) then keep loading until something touches pavement then take a little off and hit the skinny pedal. As long as the suspension does not hit the bump stops then I say it's good to go - just take it a little slower than normal and enjoy the nice smooth ride a loaded rig brings to the table.

But yeah anytime you are comparing loaded to unloaded weights it's best to use the same scale.

What I do is roll the entire combo down to the truck stop - weigh with all kids and such loaded then pull off to parking lot - drop trailer and then roll back on - then compare slips. This way you get a more accurate reading.

I was surprised to find out when I had my last truck that I was actually over weight on the steer axle with my extra fuel tank in the bed filled up with no trailer - then it got even worse once the TT was hitched... But truck handled the weight just fine - she was over by if I remember correctly about 5~600 lbs with the TT (if memory serves - been a while)...

tgatch

Reaction score
Oh... throw the wife and kids plus the stuff the bring in and I've got another 500lbs in the truck which would put me over the GVWR for sure.

Thank goodness that my 70 Gallon water tank is behind the rear axle of the trailer. Helps make that 2820lbs pin weight lighter than it could be. I usually travel with it full as where we camp usually doesn't have hook-up. For that matter, there usually isn't an official campground.